Does anyone knows what is good for gallstones besides surgery?

I found out I had gallstones about a month ago, and the doctor said that they were to small and was better to flush them.

sweetmommy137

Asked by sweetmommy137 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Health

• Change your diet, omit all fat. No fried food, butter, oil those kind of things. Take in high fiber, high protein and lot's of water. Your gallbladder can't process the fat's like it normally does.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Kind of surprising...I'd go for a second opinion. The stones don't go away and don't shrink, and there isn't any way to "flush" them...this isn't like kidney stones which you'd pass.

Maybe they're starting to use lithotripsy on gallstones? Haven't heard anything.

The worry is that if the stones get larger you'll have real pain. And it's possible for them to get int he bile duct.

What you want to avoid is emergency surgery...that's a five-week recovery if they cut you open all the way.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Eat red beets. I swear this helps.
    KOWEN

Answer by KOWEN at 10:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2009