Breastfeeding... how much is too much?

Is there a time limit to breastfeeding?  What is your personal cut-off age?  Is there ever a point to which you would cringe if you saw another mom still breastfeeding?  (Age I mean). 

Breastfeeding is a personal decision (we all understand that) but what are your personal feeling and/or possible qualms about it? 

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• past one year old is too much.
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• My first ds weaned at almost 18 months, only bc I was 3 months pregnant and dried up. Ds2 is 9 months and I will be stopping when HE wants to. My cut off is at LEAST two years according to the W.H.O.'s guidelines.
    NollynsMommy14

Answer by NollynsMommy14 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Oh I think if the child is going to Kindergaderen and needs a little nip to nap it is time to ween for sure.
    I have never really thought about it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I do not believe that there is such a thing as "self weaning" before 12 months.
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I feel uncomfortable breast feeding more then 2 years but have no problem with a mom breast feeding any age child whenever or however she feels is right for her child
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• "You CANNOT get the same nutrients in food that is in breastmilk. That is a FACT. Breastmilk contains stem cells, antibodies, and hundreds of other things NOT found in food. "

then i hope you put breastmilk on your cereal. cause if its the greatest thing ever, we should all be drinking it forever. and high IQ, low obesity, secure attachment, these things dont come from breastfeeding. any parent can have a child like this, breastmilk or formula. THATS the fallacy of breastmilk. that its the magic, end all be all of child development.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• My first was 16 months and my second was 35 months and I think anything up to about age 5 or 6 is perfectly fine. Really my children were taught to be polite about it from the very beginning and NEVER just walked up and lifted my shirt! Once they hit about 20 months or so it was rarely asked for outside the home either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Breast feeding is always the best!
    I found that at 1 my sons were getting teeth, OUCH! So that's when it stopped
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• You CANNOT get the same nutrients in food that is in breastmilk. That is a FACT. Breastmilk contains stem cells, antibodies, and hundreds of other things NOT found in food.

No matter how much you want it to be more about the mother then the child, it isn't. Believe me, it isn't. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• "when they are old enough to get their nutrients from food, the BFing no longer serves any purpose but habitual comfort. i also believe all the "benefits" to extended BFing speak more to the mother/child relationship than the actual breastmilk."

Well, you can *believe* that all you like, but the simple FACT is that the nutritional composition of breastmilk changes as the child grows and actually becomes more nutrient dense to accommodate an older child.
    You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2012