Breastfeeding... how much is too much?

Is there a time limit to breastfeeding?  What is your personal cut-off age?  Is there ever a point to which you would cringe if you saw another mom still breastfeeding?  (Age I mean). 

Breastfeeding is a personal decision (we all understand that) but what are your personal feeling and/or possible qualms about it? 

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• IMO,past 15 months is too much
    When they can walk up to you and pull your shirt up,it's time to wean

I once saw a kid who looked about 5(could have been a big 3,but still) feeding off his mom's breast at the mall

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would have been fine if the kids had gone to 2 years. They each made it to 15 months. And no one ever walked up to me and pulled up my shirt. My friends who did extended bf taught their children to be polite about it and not pull at shirts.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My baby self-weaned at ten months. I would have been happy if she went longer, but her daddy was sort of wanting his toys back by then anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I pumped, so I never personally breastfed and can't tell you when I would have stopped. I do however think anything past 18 months is way too long. Once they start walking and talking it's time to be done. They can find other ways of getting comfort from you.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I breastfed to 17 months with my first and see nothing wrong with that. Lactation specialists are usually bummed when I tell them that's only how far we got. Did you breastfeed? Its usually moms who formula fed that get freaked out about breastfeeding. I love it. Completely natural.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

Answer by staciandababy 2 minutes ago

Yes I did. It doesn't freak me out at all. I did have to tell my best friend that at 3 years old I felt that was a bit too much and DH has a friends who's wife was still at it at 4.... that was strange.
    amazinggrace83

Comment by amazinggrace83 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My son went until 18 months. He started walking at 12 and signing at 10. My daughter has been walking since9 months and just turned a year and started signing at 11 months. Im due in may and will most likely will be tandem nursing. My cut off period is the first day of kindergarten. If we are still nursing it ends the moment we walk through the door to meet teacher
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 2:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• And id cringe if I saw a kid in double digit ages still nursing
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• My last boy self-weaned at 14 months old. I never thought I would do it past 1 y/o (I didn't know I'd manage 6 months already !) but once he hit 1 it was just natural to go on. I'd be ok until 2 or 2 and half y/o. After that I don't think breast milk really give them anything that they don't receive with other food sources. At 4 I think it's too old.

I once saw a reportage and there was a mom BF an 8 y/o !! What the heck !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• anything past a yr in my opinion
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2012