Breastfeeding... how much is too much?

Is there a time limit to breastfeeding?  What is your personal cut-off age?  Is there ever a point to which you would cringe if you saw another mom still breastfeeding?  (Age I mean). 

Breastfeeding is a personal decision (we all understand that) but what are your personal feeling and/or possible qualms about it? 

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• If a child can come up to me (or its mother) and tell me it's thirsty, it's too old to be nursing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• IMO,past 15 months is too much
    When they can walk up to you and pull your shirt up,it's time to wean

I once saw a kid who looked about 5(could have been a big 3,but still) feeding off his mom's breast at the mall

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I personally BF for a year, but to each her own. I do think that after 2 years it's more about the mother being unable to let go than about any real, significant benefit for the child, but again, to each her own
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would have been fine if the kids had gone to 2 years. They each made it to 15 months. And no one ever walked up to me and pulled up my shirt. My friends who did extended bf taught their children to be polite about it and not pull at shirts.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I pumped, so I never personally breastfed and can't tell you when I would have stopped. I do however think anything past 18 months is way too long. Once they start walking and talking it's time to be done. They can find other ways of getting comfort from you.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I breastfed to 17 months with my first and see nothing wrong with that. Lactation specialists are usually bummed when I tell them that's only how far we got. Did you breastfeed? Its usually moms who formula fed that get freaked out about breastfeeding. I love it. Completely natural.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would 'cringe' to see a mother breast feeding in public over about 18 months-2. Once they are verbal and negotiable, they are old enough to learn some breast feeding manners. Including being patient. In private? I can't imagine kids try to breast feed much older than 3-4... I guess after that it might get a little uncomfortable for me to imagine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• "when they are old enough to get their nutrients from food, the BFing no longer serves any purpose but habitual comfort. i also believe all the "benefits" to extended BFing speak more to the mother/child relationship than the actual breastmilk."

Well, you can *believe* that all you like, but the simple FACT is that the nutritional composition of breastmilk changes as the child grows and actually becomes more nutrient dense to accommodate an older child.
    You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My baby self-weaned at ten months. I would have been happy if she went longer, but her daddy was sort of wanting his toys back by then anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• And id cringe if I saw a kid in double digit ages still nursing
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2012