Is everyone in the U.S. just angry with anyone right now who has a buck?

Wasn't there a time when people who were successful and prosperous, envied and looked up to for making it? What changed? Why do we hate the rich man?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because it takes work to get there, and the majority of Americans dont want to work for anything. We have raised a generation with the entitlement mentality, they think they should handed the world on a silver platter simply because they are. If people would get off their lazy asses they may acutally have the pride of earning a dollar instead of mooching off the gov't and the wealthy.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't know why they are. People seem to forget that the "rich man" is the one who HIRES the whiners!

How many employees do poor people hire?
    Anonymous

• I don't think anyone hates the rich man in general, hey if you worked hard for what you have, then why should I be a hater and jealous because you have more money than me, IMO people only hate 'the rich man' because instead of putting effort into changing their lives for the better they find it easier to just sit around and hate people for what they have and what they don't
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Nobody hates a rich man. Its rich men who don't know how to behave. Like if you have money,
    don't complain about anything, spend wisely, and maybe even help out a fellow American.
    Its when people with money walk around like idiots, thats when it makes others mad in times
    like this.
    In times where people are losing their life as they know it (jobs, homes , etc.) you can't really
    tell people who they can and cannot hate.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 9:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I knowI I love the rich man ;)

All night
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 9:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Nobody hates a man for being rich. Some hate them for being arrogant and acting foolish like the world owes them something. If someone works hard for their money and is humble and helps those who can't help themselves then I see nothing wrong with rich people.

There was one rich woman I wanted to slap around though. She was the wife of my husband's boss/friend. She had only 2 kids, a full time and part time nanny, a maid to clean AND cook, she lived off daddy's money so she didn't work, and let her husband waste all that money doing whatever he wanted. She bitched and moaned all the time about how she was raising those kids alone and how her husband was never around. Now THOSE rich people I can do without...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I am infuriated by this too. We blame the rich for everything, but everyone forgets that we have so much in this country because of they exist. So many people say the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes. I love the barstool analogy. I just googled it and found it on someone's blog:

http://themintjulep.blogspot.com/2005/01/simple-tax-analogy.html

gretchenb133

Answer by gretchenb133 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The Beauty of America anyone who works hard, has a dream, sets goals, and strives to be better can be rich. People [who hate the weathy] should spend less time hating others and more time working hard to achieve their own wealth.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have never understood that either. I see it on CM all the time. Someone makes a comment about how much they spend or how much they make and other women who are having a tough time jump all over her. I have no problem with those who do well for themselves. I know my husband and I have busted our butts to get where we are in life. I think many people these days do not want to do the hard work that it takes to improve their life. I have been broke, I have had low income jobs and not had a penny in the bank. Everyone has to start at the bottom and work their way up.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I, as a 'rich' person, thoroughly hate some (newly) poor people in the country. Because of people over spending and relying on credit, my rich ass has to pay for it (more than the low and middle class) AND i dont see any type of stimulus check. Maybe i should hide all my money, and behave like an ignorant fool... at least it gets rewarded.
    Anonymous