Eeeeeww! Oh my God!

I let my dog out, and she ran right over to the neighbor's porch. I had a hard time calling her back, and when she finally came in the house, she dragged in some kind of a hoof and leg with gristle and freakin' slime all over it! I sure wasn't expecting that! The neighbor hunts, so I'm guessing it's a deer leg, but he shouldn't have that s**t on his porch, right? I know my dog shouldn't be up there, but she was obviously attracted to the animal parts. I threw it out in the dumpster, but do I have to worry about my dog getting sick? And do I have to tell my neighbor where his missing leg and hoof is? The meat was all cut off, so he was probably going to throw the bone away--which he should have done--I am so grossed out! This isn't the middle of the country, I mean, I live in a townhouse complex in a small city.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Pets

• I swear all the dogs in our neighborhood drag deer legs into my yard on a weekly basis. It's really disgusting. I have a week stomach and it really grosses me out. Make sure you bleach and scrub your hands and anything it came in contact with in your home.

Your dog should be fine.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Nah, your dog will be fine. My lab used to bring home legs all the time in the winter. This behavior is in the very fiber of their being lol.

And yeah, sometimes you just put them outside the house until you can get rid of them or, let the dogs have them.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• no you shouldn't have to worry about it. they way i think about it is, animals live out in the wild and don't get processed animal food... they get it from hunting for themselves. But I would be grossed out too... lol our dogs used to drag up all kinds of things and we lived in the country... hahaha
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Your dog will be fine.... Its gross but its his house... he can throw a deer leg on the porch if he wants.... It could have been cow for that matter, or a goat. Did you really look at it? I know people who litterally buy a cow or a goat and cut and wrap it themselves right in their kitchen. Someone raises it for them, as they live in the city, then they kill it, gut it, bring it home, and cut and wrap... To each their own.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• In all likelihood, your dog will be fine; dogs are scavengers. Call your local police and find out about local regulations for disposal of carcasses. Leaving that stuff out can attract bears, foxes, raccoons, etc., depending on what lives around where you do.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Your dog is fine might even have rolled in it too. About dead animal parts on the front porch talk to the land lord about it but remember that your neighbor can easily make a complaint that your dog was out without a leash. I know some dogs bolt but animal control and the vet will say that a dog that is an upstanding citizen will respect the front door no matter what
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Dog won't get sick & hunters live everywhere. You can't even be mad at this, why isn't our dog on a leash?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• * your
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Canine citizen*
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 2:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I'm not mad exactly, just grossed out and a little shocked, My dog shouldn't have been out without a leash, but I haven't gotten dressed today because I wasn't feeling well. I know, poor excuse, but I let her out because she's very well trained to stay close and come back when I call her. She's a service dog. And she did eventually come back--with a leg in her mouth! I didn't examine it beyond pulling it out of her very strong jaws and stuffing it into a plastic bag.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2012