Can't afford Christmas...

I am looking for way to get around having Christmas (presents and so forth). We have 3 kids who keep asking when they get to see Santa, and giving us lists of toys. What can I do? We are a mixed religion family so telling the kids that it's solely about the birth of Jesus doesn't really fit in. My husband lost his job on Jan 30, I lost my car in Aug, and we were removed from our home Nov 7. It's just not feasible for us to get gifts at this point. We have food stamps, and my husband started getting work just last week! I felt so good about the work until I realized we are so in debt that paychecks are gone before we get them. It's so wrong that I cannot give my kids basic needs!! I feel so awful. My husband is a veteran and there seems to be no help from that community anymore. He is so depressed. I kills me to see him cry when he is the one who stays strong for me. What can I do? I am so lost.

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 2:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Holidays

• Take them to see Santa, I don't know about anywhere else.. but here he gives the kids one toy. You could get involved with Toys For Tots, or check out some other local toy drive.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• There are usually local organizations that help with these kinds of things. Call churches, do some research about what is available in your community. GL
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 2:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Contact your local Toys for tots org and also the Salvation Army in your area
    try some local Churches too... you will need to act quickly tho, to get the help you need...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Could you go to a church or the Salvation Army? There are a lot of places around that give out Christmas baskets. I'm not sure how it all works, but if you find a large church in your area, even one you don't attend, you might at least get pointed in the right direction. Look for Catholic Charities in your phone book. They're a very big organization, and they help out lots of people, not just Catholic.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Many of the organizations have already filled their lists so you will probably have to look hard, but call 211 and get a list of possible places to try. Large churches are also a great place to try, although many of them also go through reputable organizations so they can be sure to help someone that is truly in need.

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• The LDS church will help you!
    Anonymous

• Oh man... I was in that same situation about 4 years ago. It sucks, I know. Take them to see Santa anyway. Try to explain that sometimes even Santa can't give us everything on our lists. Try the local toy drives, and if those don't pan out maybe try to scrape up enough money to go to Dollar Tree or something and pick up a few little things at least. They may not be what the kids want, but hopefully your kids are young enough that at least something small will satisfy them.

GL, and I hope things start looking up soon.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I would still take them to see Santa. Thrift stores like Savers have little bags of toys for $2. How about a few bags of little toys for each child. Go to a local Church too. They give toys away that Parishioners donate. They also give Christmas meals to families. How about taking the kids to a matinee movie on Christmas Day or borrow a Movie from the local Library & on Christmas make little snacks like pigs in a blanket & deviled eggs & sit nice & cozy on the couch on Christmas, eat snacks for Dinner & watch a Movie together. My kids are small too & that's what we did on Thanksgiving & they had a ball.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• i just filled out the request for toys for tots. thank you i'm just not thinking straight right now.
    willngingersmom

Comment by willngingersmom (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• This is my suggestion... why not make your gifts this yr? maybe have each one of them draw a name and let them make something for that person. It doesn't always have to be about the gifts. Since you get food stamps focus on a good family dinner and let that be the family gift.
    Re-gifting is always fun. Our family does that with Christmas and it's so much fun. I guess the older you get you don't worry so much about the gifts. I would just try to instill the fact that you all are healthy and are able to celebrate the day together. I am not saying all of this to make it sound like I am all high and mighty. I am right there with you and probably won't be able to do anything either and I have just one child.
    I got a bonus but I've had to use most of it with traveling back and forth to see my mother who is in the hopital, so right now my priorities aren't that fixated on gifts... lol Hope you have a Merry Christmas!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2012