Baby's first birthday

does anyone have any suggestions for my son's first birthday. Who should I invite? what should I cook? should i go all out? should i buy food? should i only invite people that have babies his age? etc. this is my first baby and i am just not sure what to do yet. would i be better off baking a cake or buying? i would be so grateful if everyone could share their experiences. i don't want to over do it but i want it to be special at the same time.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here's what we did....
    we bought a cake for everyone to eat, then baked our own special cake for my child to eat by himself. We invited just close family and a few friends with kids around the same age. We did it at the park that way the kids could run wild and then come back for food if need be. We just went with simple to eat foods like hotdogs and chips, and hawaiian punch (to avoid the sugary sodas). -just do enough, but I def. would not over do it, afterall it's about your son, who will Def.! not ever remember it anyways...so get him some nice toys as gifts but as for the party I would remain low key. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 9:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I baked an organic egg-free cake. We only invited a few family members. It was very low-key. Took pics while ds ate his cake. We had some cake. (didn't turn out that great) and then we took more pics while he opened some presents and played with the toys he got. That's it! We'll probably invite some other kids next year.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i'm going all out for my sons camerons birthday.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I went to the dollar store to get party supplies, I went with a pirate theme. I love baking but I wouldn't have time to make enough cake for all of the guests. Instead I went to Walmart and got what they call a Teacher Platter. It's a 7 inch round cake and a dozen cupcakes. I ordered 3 of them because I invited a lot of people, 30-40 people. I'm having Damian's 1st bday at a pizza place, they don't charge any fees, they don't have a gratiuity for service, and they're even giving us a 10% discount. Plus that way people can order what food they want. I had the stipulation that if they wanted something besides the 3 pizzas that I'm ordering they can order what they want because I don't have any extra money to spend on food. I invited my family, my bf's family, and friends of ours. Mostly friends that have watched him grow during his 1st year. Most of our friends have kids some older and some close to his age.
    foxy400ex

Answer by foxy400ex at 1:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009