Christmas is on the same day every year... why do people wait until December to freak out about not having money for gifts?

By December many toy drives already have the list of kids the toys are going to ready. Angel tree tags are already hung up and most of them already shopped for...

Seriously. We have very little money and my kids school is helping us this year. We request help in the beginning of Nov. with the school counselor. We wanted to find out how to get a little boost for the season since we would not be able to provide any substantial gift for our two kids this year. Aside from the help from the school I have been stocking up on Dollar store items all year long. If I have an extra buck- I got pick up a little toy or pack of stickers or something!

Why do people wait to the last minute to freak out and go looking for help? Christmas doesn't exactly sneak up on you!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Holidays

• Worried, I was on welfare. I had no job and at the same point the year in mention I was homeless with a newborn. I don't get the exscuses, there's aid and they start in October taking applications for help, I understand how bad it fucking sucks. But really why on earth do people wait until December , our angel trees come down on the 14th and aren't even accepting people who need help, neither is our Salvation Army. So actually getting help is pretty much a shot in the dark at this point. I read your other post, do you have kids in school? If so call the school and ask if they are offering assistance, our school system does every year.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Because people hope their situations may change by now, or they have been too embarrassed to ask until it's a crisis....

not everyone falling on hard time is as awesome as you I guess...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• some people have unexpected expense. For me for example. the place I was living decided to shut off all water for 2-3 days. During that time I found a new place and had to hire movers. I wasnt about to live 2-3 days without water. That was the straw that broke the camels back with that place. I did most of my kids Christmas shopping in October and need to wait til my mid month check to finish so I am lucky not to need help but I thought I was going to need to beg their father to help me.

Things happen all the time and who are you to judge and think you know ever persons situation and pretty much call them out on it?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• A lot of people hope something will change for them. Denial? Maybe. But it isn't easy to ask for help. Judge not lest ye be judged.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Mainly because throughout the yr with bills and such it's harder to put something aside. Take me for instance... Everything I make at my job goes towards rent, utilities, etc... And even though I never count on a bonus from my boss I have gotten one every yr, but this yr she gave it to me early so I could go back and forth out of state to see my mom in the hospital.  To me Christmas is all a bunch of hype anymore and too commercialized. I am trying to make my son realize it's about family and being with those you love. Who cares if you get gifts... the gift is being with each other and being able to spend that time.

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I agree, even if you pick up 1.00 -5.00 things all year long you'll still have presents.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• No idea, honestly.
    I get that they may hold out a bit because they think it *might* get better or not wanting other people to know or whatnot...but seriously- the sooner you get on trying to find help in case things don't end up working out-the better.

I also have never understood the people who wait until a day or two before Christmas to shop and then they wanna get pissy because they can't find the stuff they wanted to get (all sold out)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• A lot of people are not planners, sadly.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I agree worth the first post. Apparently not everyone is as awesome as you. Unforseen things can come up such as hospital bills or a house repair. You should try not to judge and show more compassion towards others less fortunate than yourself. I am fortunate to provide well for my kids but I keep the rough days in my thoughts so I don't end up sounding like you.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• You knew you were less fortunate. Some have unforseen situations that force them into less fortunate situations. Not everyone plans to be poor or knows they will be. Stop judging others situations without having been in them.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2012