What could be wrong?

I give special intructions for my 7 yr. old son to do a project and when I go check on him he is doing something else. I wanted to make it easy for him but instead he makes it harder for him and gave himself more work on top of that.
I wanted to blow up on him but would it even be worth it? I am sooo tired of doing this same thing over and over he is driving me up the wall. I love him so much it hurts me to feel this way (yelling all of the time). He is a good kid but sometimes oh my god he is unbelievable.
Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's just what they do at the age. You may have to keep him near you when doing a project.
    Anonymous

• OMG my 6 y/o will take forever to get dressed for school. I told him if he didnt start moving his but a little quicker he would have to sleep in his school clothes at night. Well that didnt solve the problem, he wanted to get dressed at night lol So now we have races in the morning, who can get dressed quicker, him, his older brother or if I can dress the baby quicker. Some times that will work.
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 10:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• What kind of project? Like homework, housework, etc?

If schoolwork, if you have a table close to the kitchen or other area of the house you need to do work, set him there and keep an eye on him. I set my SS down at the kitchen table to do his homework while I do things in the kitchen (there's always something to be done in the ktichen!)

If a house project (i.e room cleaning), then set consequences to not finishing it, and check on him every few minutes. Maybe have a reward for him finishing it in a shorter amount of time then you would normally expect.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem. I have to get my daughter (7) up an hour and a half before school starts because that's how long it takes to eat breakfast, get dressed (that's an argument in itself), brush teeth, fix hair, get shoes on (another delay) and find the perfect accessories for her outfit (takes about 25 min.). Also, she has to play with the dogs, read a book to me, etc. I finally gave up on trying to rush her and decided to get up early and give her the time she needs.
    neenee32

Answer by neenee32 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have to stick close to my second grader to make sure he stays on track. He's easily distracted. I usually have him sit at the kitchen table and I'll use that time to clean up the kitchen or start dinner or something.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 7:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my dd tried that and she has to do her homework right when she walks in the door. Before snack before playing, watching a movie. I'm amazed at how quickly she gets her work done now.
    If its a home project I want her to get done clean her room, she knows all her belongings will go in a garbage bag and she will not see them for a while. If its feeding her cat or guinea pig,or turtle they will become mine for awhile, until she can feed them and give the water. I don't expect her to remember to do those things but I do expect her to care enough to feed them when she is told their food dish is empty. But she has gotten into the habit of checking on them before she leaves to go to school when she gets home, then before bed.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• First off all you have to make it fun! make a it a game! I help him with it! It is more like ine one time with him! Make sure you are in a quiet space and focus on him and the project! Get a big display board and break out the crayons and markers for the sign! Get on the computer and help him research cool information about the project! Print it out and paste on the board! believe your child will remember that when he grows up!
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 3:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009