Thumb-suckers

I babysit my niece/nephew twins full-time - they are 9 months old.....They constantly suck their thumbs to soothe themselves....its now becoming a bad habit and want ideas on how to make them STOP!

I heard someone tell me to put a little bit of hot sauce on Q-tip and rub it around the thumb they suck on? I wonder if that's a "trainning method"....

Any ideas?

jmartin571982

Asked by jmartin571982 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does their mom want them to stop?
    Anonymous

• Yes...but those babies are with me A LOT....she just pulls their hands down whenever she sees them sucks their thumbs..I feel there more I could do because they're only 9 months and they don't understand the word "NO" yet.....just want to stop them NOW before habit gets worse....ya know..
    jmartin571982

Answer by jmartin571982 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Limit thumb sucking to nap time to start with (going cold turkey is hard for LO's) when they suck their thumbs and it's not nap time simple pull the thumb out and say "not now" nicely. That way they don't have that feeling of guilt like they did something wrong (which will make them want the comfort of sucking their thumbs even more) and they will just understand that there's a time to suck their thumbs and a time to not.

It might take a few days or even weeks of doing this but sooner or later they'll catch on.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think 9 months old is a bit young to try those methods you mentioned.

I mean they are babies. I would just pull out their thumbs during playtime nonchalantly and then give them a toy or something to distract them with.

Other then that I really don't agree with saying no and making them feel bad for soothing themselves at such a young age.

I know everyone has a differen opinion, but those were just my thoughts. Either way whatever you decide make sure it's consistent with the mom.
    Anonymous

I know everyone has a different opinion, but those were just my thoughts. Either way whatever you decide make sure it's consistent with the mom.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I poste my answer twice. I wanted to fix a mis-spelling and did, but then realized I couldn't delete the other answer since I had posted under Anon.
    Anonymous

• Grr now I forgot the D in posted. That really bugs me.

Well good luck with the whole thumbsucking issue. I was a child thumbsucker !!!
    Anonymous

• They're not your children, so unless their mother wants them to stop, you have no place trying to get them to.

If the mother DOES want it stopped, then whatever you do... DO NOT USE HOT SAUCE!!

It is a soothing thing for them and no worse than a pacifier, so I see no problem with it myself. I personally say to just let them be. They're babies. Stop it when they get older and can understand that they're not supposed to do it after a certain age.
    Anonymous

• My daughter just started sucking her thumb, so of course, I have done some thumb sucking research. They say if you leave the child alone, they usually stop sucking on their own around a year or so, but if the more that you try to stop it . . . makes them fight harder to do it longer. Just let them go. My dd is 7 months and just recently started sucking her thumb at naps/bedtimes, but not every time. If she has found a way to soothe herself, then to me that's great. It won't last forever. I can put her to bed awake at night without the light and she just rolls over and goes to bed. 9 months is too young, let them be a while.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My daughter is turning 3 on tuesday and she still sucks her thumb! When you figure it out let me know lol
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2009