Man arrested in case of NYC subway rider pushed to his death

Police have a 30-year-old former deli worker in custody believed to be the suspect who pushed a subway rider off the platform and into the path of an oncoming train at 49th Street after an argument.

A law enforcement official told NBC 4 New York the man is suspected of pushing 58-year-old Ki-Suk Han off the platform at the N, Q, R station Monday afternoon. Han was hit by a southbound Q train and died.

Witnesses told police the suspect was mumbling to himself before he and Han began arguing on the platform.

A bystander recorded part of the fight between the two men and turned the video over to police, who released it to the public Monday night, and received several tips. The man who allegedly pushed Han is heard cursing and saying, in substance, "Leave me alone... stand in line, wait for the R train and that's it."

He then pushed Han onto the tracks, police said. Han tried to climb back up onto the platform but died after getting trapped between the train and the platform's edge.

A law enforcement official tells NBC 4 New York that co-workers from a nearby deli where the suspect works tipped off police that their colleague might be the subway pusher after they recognized his voice from video.

Witness Patrick Gomez, who was in the station, says he heard a "thud that didn't sound normal" when the train pulled into the station.

"People are just standing there in fear and shock, not really knowing what's going on," he said. "Some people started running out of the platform, others just stood there."

He says police evacuated the platform within minutes.

Subway pushes are unusual. Among the more high-profile was the January 1999 death of Kendra Webdale. A former mental patient admitted he shoved her to her death.

Following that, the state Legislature passed Kendra's Law, which lets mental health authorities supervise patients who live outside institutions to make sure they are taking their medications and aren't a threat to safety.

That is just awful!!! How could someone stand there and watch as a train is coming and not do anything about it??? I don't get it!!!

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• i saw the video here in Puerto Rico
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• How cold people have become.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• booklover... that's what gets me!! how could someone just stand there and do nothing?? I saw a few photos that were shot and the train was back far enough that someone could have grabbed his hand to pull him up. Just craziness!!
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I saw this. What a horrible way to die. No one tried to help him.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• oh I know Michigan... I just read that they were frowned upon because of the caption that it had and the pic to go along with it. The only thing I don't get is that no one even tried to help him. How much common sense does it take to know if a train is coming and someone is in trouble at least try to do something...

I can just imgaine what the train driver is going through... shudder at the thought!! prayers to everyone involved!!
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• yeah the Post... oopsie :0)
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Ballad....Well if the one guy waited until he saw the train, any bystanders nearby would not have any time to save the guy that is on the subway platform.

"The New York Times is under fire now for posting such a harsh front page..."OP
    Why?? Society at times makes no sense to me. They get all upset and pissed off cause of the "graphic" picture on the front page newspaper, then go home and watch horror movie or "The View" (lol) Folks can watch the movie "Hostel" or "Saw" and bat an eye. Then they see just a man and the oncoming train? The paper didn't put the picture of what the guy looked like afterwords for heavens sake!
    Bunch of fucking hypocrites IMO...
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I just want to clarify that it was the New York Post that printed the picture. I don't think the Times did
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Horrifying. I've always had a fear of getting into trouble in a crowd and having nobody to help me, like in a fire or something. That's just awful what happened to that poor man.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Oh how horrible! That poor man. For those who didn't react, I did not watch the video, but how much time was there to help him & not become a victim too? Some were probably frozen in fear & disbelief. I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2012