Tuberculosis exposure 37 weeks

Okay, I'm 37 weeks and 5 days and today I was informed that my Dad was exposed to TB through his work and him and I and my daughter spend a lot of time together. Well I informed my OB and they want to do the skin test on me...I am really against vaccinations and such during pregnancy, soooo as I'm sure my ob wouldn't give me any sort of injection that may be detrimental, but has anyone else ever had the PPD TB test during their pregnancy or third trimester? I'm high risk, so I don't want to do anything that's going to harm me...

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Where did you go to medical school?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 6:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• It's pretty benign. It won't harm you or your babe.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I should say that if your doctor is recommending it, I wouldn't be worried about it. I've had one done for years because I work in healthcare. I also pop positive every year since being exposed......not a big deal
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Freeforall, what are you talking about?

Mrs Prissy, okay, I just have never had the test done, so I didn't know if they did the skin one and how safe it was.

I do know that my dad had to have the skin and a chest X-ray, but it was cos he was in direct contact. (He is a corrections officer)
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Also, thanks :)
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I only had the chest xray when I popped positive the first and second time. After that, they exempted me from further radiation lol.

I've never had any symptoms
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• It must be like an HSV exposure then. (Once you're exposed you always test pos)

Thanks for the information. Does the test hurt?
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I'm a nursing assistant and it is mandated that you have Tb testing in the hiring process. I was pregnant (3months) and did just fine. If your doctor says it's ok then I would do it. What would you rather have..Tb test or untreated tb?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Definitely the test lol.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Yep, pretty much. No, the test doesn't hurt. I

I have to ask, has it been at least two weeks since he was exposed and, thus, exposed you?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2012