DO YOU THINK IN 6 MONTHS WE WILL BE LIKE THE 1930'S AGAIN?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK really it doesn't bother me because I am in field that I will have a job- and my hubby is pretty secure in his job as well... Itd be a great time to start a business and buy stock!!!
    Anonymous

• we have a great possibility of that happening, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best....

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't think so, but one never knows. I'm thankful that hubby and I have our jobs as well.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If we continue to throw money around without accountability then I think it's highly possible.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 10:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• well......hoping not, but the porkulus bill doesn't ease my concerns. i think one major difference is that a lot of people are holding back on their spending and tightening budgets in awareness of skinny times. so there is a gradual adjustment in general, that wasn't happening prior to the crash and the depression. i think whatever happens, more people will have safety cushions (emergency funds and food supply) to land on than in the 30's.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 10:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Nope, not going to happen. Too many people are letting the media scare them. True, things are bad, but we really don't need to panic. The unemployment rate right now is around 7.6 % I think, and at the height of the recession of '73-'75 is was 8.3 %. During the Great Depression, unemployment was 25% and wages (for those who still had jobs) fell 42%. So really I doubt that things will get quite that bad. But it's good to be prepared, because things will continue to get worse before they get better. I just don't think it will be much worse than the recession on the 70's let alone the Great Depression of the 1930's.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It's gonna happen, but not in 6 months, more like about 3 years, then we will all be sweating it, even those of us whose hubbies have good jobs.
    Anonymous

• What makes you think it will take 6 months to get there? LOL The stats are right, but the thing that isn't mentioned much is the % of debt the country has now compared to the depression. We have a HUGE debt, and that will make a difference this time around.
    Kelly913

Answer by Kelly913 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• it's def. possible... i hope not
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It makes a difference only because it limits what the government can do as opposed to during the Depression. But we're just going to go into more debt to fix it. I'm still not buying it though. There have been many recessions since the Depression and a few have been very bad. This too shall pass, and I doubt that a large percentage of the population will be standing in line for soup kitchens. We really didn't even have the gas lines of the '70's when prices were high last summer. Every recession is different. But if you want to compare, a better comparison is the recession of '73-'75 or maybe the early '80's, not the depression of the '30's.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009