i have a 4 yr old son that says his leg always hurts

I have a 4 yr old son that says his leg hurts but its always at night time. do you think its cause he is streching or is it smething i should be concerned about?

vmoran06

Asked by vmoran06 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be growing pains and he just notices it at night when he is done playing.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree I think it is growing pains I had them all of the time when I was little and it always hurt worse in the night because you are relaxed.
    Anonymous

• my 3 year old says his leg hurts but i dont think anything of it cause its alwas when i ask him to do somethin
    lynn200724

Answer by lynn200724 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If it keeps up, you need to get him an MRI.

I was dropped at age 5 and came home complaining of back & leg pain. It never went away. My parents never took me to a dr til I was a teenager. The Dr just felt around on my back, said I had tight muscles, and sent me home with muscle relaxers that my mom wouldn't let me take.

It wasn't 'til my twenties that I finally found out I have severe permanent & degenerative damage to my spine --- including sciatica (which explains the leg pain). Had it been caught early, it couldn't been treated --- but now, I'm just screwed.

So yeah... give it a week or two --- if it's still bothering him, have it checked out.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• did he stat walking at an early age?? like 7-8-9 months?? if so, that could have something to do with it..because he started walking so young his muscles didnt get a chance to grow properly..this hasppened to my nephew...and yes it will cause pain in his legs..if so, id take him to a dr and get some tests done
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It is hardly ever a bad time to check with a doctor but our experience has been it is growing pains, and just being an active little boy. We use gentle relaxing massage (Luke calls them rubbies) with lotion to smooth his skin and ease the pain. I think because it hurts he tenses up and then it hurts more so if he relaxes it doesn't hurt as bad. If it is really bothering him a check with the doctor might be in order and ask if some pain relief would be good, or a warm bath or a massage.
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• could be the growing pains . i remember wakin up in the middle of the night screamin a few times because of them! best to probably take warm bath and give him a massage, but safe to call dr.
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2009