My daughter has been getting really bad chapped lips all the time I put stuff on them and it does not help

do you think I should take her to the doctor so they can look at her lips and maybe give me some cream or something?Or do any of you know what I can do for her lips? Thanks you

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Does she lick her lips a lot? That could be causing the chap lips. I guess the doctor could give her something but I always used chap stick. I put it on my son at night and he is less likely to lick it off. It helps.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• She's probably lickiing them. They usually do that alot, even when you try to apply chapstick. Can you try rubbing some vaseline into them after she falls asleep? Thats what I would do.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Put chap stick on and make sure she is getting plenty to drink if u get dehydrated your lips become dry. If that don't work go see Doc Good luck
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Instead of just plain chap stick, try something like either Carmex, or Blistex. Thats what always works best for me, and it heals my lips in 2-3 days when they are super bad. I also agree with the putting it on when she is sleeping to avoid her licking it off, how old is she? That is going to have a lot to do with how well she listens to the no licking your lips rule. Tell her that instead of licking her lips, everytime her lips feel dry she needs to use her chapstick (or whatever you decide to use)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• also, if you are in a really cold area, keep her inside as much as possible
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 10:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Like Carolyn said, try Carmex. That's what I put on my daughter's dry lips.. we live way up at 6200ft above sea level where EVERYTHING is dry, and it works great!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Use bag balm..it's like magic
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• CARMEX AND CHAPSTICK ARE DRYING PRODUCTS. I use to work for a cosmetic co.,they are designed to dry your lips so you constantly have to use them for the temporary effect on smoothness. Blistex as well. Stop using these products! I'm sure you are monitoring your daughters water intake by this point. Your daughter needs to make an effort not to lick the dry lips and don't put anything on for a couple of days. Then start using a little vaseline or bag balm. Mustella makes a moisture stick for babies that works really well as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• ANON 1:26, that is BS. The first ingredient in chapstick is vaseline, so how do you recommend one and not the other. The other ingredients are shea butter, olive oil, aloe and/or vitamin E. Carmex works very well to heal chapped lips. It tastes nasty, so kids are less likely to lick them. Chapstick is meant as a preventative. I don't find that it works well to heal, but it does help prevent reoccurance after you use Carmex to heal the lips.

You might also want to look into Lansinoh. It is sold by the breastfeeding products. It is pure lanolin. This stuff is really think and tastes funny, but it works better than anything to help cure chapped lips and skin. A tube is around $8 but it will last FOREVER.

yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Also, if you are claiming to be an expert, show your face. Don't hide behind ANON and give BS advice.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2009