So her college days ate over?

My dd is in school in another state. She's telling me that she failed Spanish and won't be able to go back to school after Christmas. Because she has to have 12 credits and this Spanish class is 3 credits. So she'll no longer be considered a student. So without finanical aid and scholerships - I cannot afforf to keep her there.

So, that's it - she's kicked out and doomed to wait tables back in the small town she came from.

No wonder so many give up or never try college. And so many people are on the welfare system.
It's like being a criminal one strike and your out.

Wow, any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• Personally? I'd make her try on the final. At least that's an attempt, which is a helluva lot better than just giving up, which is what dropping the class is, to me. If she studies hard, gets a tutor, joins a study group, maybe asks for some help from her professor, she might stand half a chance of just managing to eek by. But if she drops the class, she's just giving up, and aside from the fact that I personally wouldn't encourage my kids to give up, there will come a day when she'll wish she hadn't given up and wonder what would have happened if she'd stayed and tried.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• She'll be kicked out after ONE failed class? I know financial aid will be withdrawn if she fails, but most colleges have an appeal you can write for your financial aid to be reinstated. Sorry if this sounds mean, but I highly doubt she'll get kicked out after ONE failed class(of the college that is, maybe specific programs/colleges of study but she can still attend. Are you sure it's only one class? She needs to discuss this situation will her academic advisor and financial aid. They will be the best to advise her on whether to take a failing grade or withdraw (but the semester is almost over, it's probably too late to withdraw)
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• So up until that very moment,she had no clue she was failing Spanish?!
    There's no other way for her to stay in school?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• If she is kicked out after this semester, I wouldn't say her college days are over. My best advice after that would be for her to apply to a community/junior college (they are more lenient with their acceptance). If her GPA is below a certain level, they may accept her with conditions (like she'll be on academic probation). She can attend until she gets her GPA up and reapply to a university. Hopefully some of this helps.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• the advice that was given to my daughter was to take more credits than you NEED so if you fail or drop a class you will be ok

not sure what she can do at this point
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• This sounds weird to me. I can see them putting her on academic probation for a semester but I can't see them kicking her out after one failed class.

Was she already on academic probation prior to this?

I'll admit I was really lucky in that all my girls got through college fine but I agree with the community college idea. Like the others have stated, 12 hours/semester isn't enough to graduate in four years anymore. My last kid in college graduated in 2010 and she took at least 15 hours each semester in order to graduate in 4 years. It was tough
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My boys take at least 15 units a semester. Twelve makes you a full time student, but if you only take 12 you can't graduate on time. And with 15 units if you fail one class, you still have enough to be considered full time.

I agree with jain.doh, community college. And, maybe she needs to work to help pay her way through college. Most kids these days do. My boys work and go to school full time.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• geez OP jain.doh was commenting about your post where you said:

Sheesh, calm down
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes, she's been going to a tutior. I've mailed her a computer program to help her study.
    But she hasn't passes a single test in that class.
    So, she is debating dropping the class before the final and losing the credits or trying the final, if she fails her GPA drops and she's still kicked out.
    Any advice on try the final or drop the class?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• She won't be booted out after one failed class. The way a semester system works is you have until the end of the year to make up classes. So mext semester she'd have to take more credits to make up for the failed class this semester in order ot complete her total credits for the year. She will be placed on academic probation and will likely have to pay back SOME financial aid for the class (not all unless she drops the class completely). However she can appeal this as well. She will likely lose some scholarships depending on what they were for and how her GPA is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2012