If you add beer to a recipe, does it taste like beer?

i want to make this bbq chicken with beer in it, i heard it enhances the flavor but i do not want it to taste like beer since hubby won't like that.

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Food & Drink

• When I add beer I cook the meat for a very long time at a low temperature. I don't think it tastes like beer (and I don't like beer). If you don't cook it for several hours, it can have a very acrid taste.

Beer tenderizes meat, and gives it a nice flavor, especially if you use a good quality beer.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Sometimes. Depends on the beer you use, and the amount, and what else is in it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Not if you cook it a while, the spices and goodies in the ingredients will mask the taste! I do that with wine too!! They have NO idea in my house (:
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I was going to say that you can substitute wine as well, but I see madmueller beat me to it, and also apple cider works great.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I wondered that. I think beer battered onion rings do have a taste of beer.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Not normally but I noticed if I use a "stout" there will be a hint of beer flavor.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• You do have to let it cook for a long time for the alcohol to evaporate and the flavors to marry and blend together. Depending on the recipe, it may have some beer taste, but usually it enhances the flavor and makes it deeper. Just try not use a strong beer if you don't like the taste.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No, the beer will evaporate as it bakes but it also makes your meat tender.
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2012