Polenta..what does it taste like? Texture?

Is it similar to grits or cornmeal mush?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Food & Drink

• It's the same as grits. Polenta is yellow cornmeal grits is white cornmeal. It was popular because its cheap and the poor got really good at flavoring it or using it to stretch a meal.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Cornmeal mush. But it can be seasoned and can taste very good.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I like it when it is spiced up. It tastes like Cream of Wheat with cornbread.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Polenta has the texture of grits, to a point. If it is made well it has a very creamy feel. It can be flavored to fit any meal sweet to savory.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Good to know! Thanks. I'm going shopping today and think I will buy some to try.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• It's a cross texture between grits, cream of wheat and corn meal/corn bread.
    It really tastes wonderful when it's cooked right.
    I have had some friends make it almost like little crackers that they pan fried.
    It's such a unique taste
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 6:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• mmmmmm  saute onions ,bell peppers ...any color with some minced garlic in some EVOO.Then add a can of crushed tomatoes and seasoning to your taste and likes.May want to pour of too much liquid ,this is not supposed to be soupy at all.Slice and bake polenta with a sprinkle of parm or saute...I bake .Add a good scoop of veggie mix ,and a good amount of parm slide back in oven bake a few minutes till cheese is melted and serve.Even though I have two meat eating teens they love this as is.They will request it as an entree ,of course it takes much more.  ; )  I serve with baby spinach salad or broccoli.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Oh how I LOVE polenta! Let it sit once it's cooked and then slice it and fry it. YUM!

Or slice it, put it in a pan, then add a layer of mushrooms sauteed in butter, pour over white sauce (bechamel) that has lots of parmesan in it, then add another layer of slices, etc. finishing with sauce and sprinkle with more parmesan. Stick it in a hot oven until it is bubbling and serve.

Or make it more like a purée, cook it in stock rather than water and add a tablespoon of butter. When you serve it make a well in the middle and pour in gravy ...

Seriously, I'm an addict ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• If you like yellow corn bread you would like it.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• It really is the same as grits but for myself I do some doctoring of it.
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2012