Have you ever taken a personal leave of absence without using FMLA?

They denied my FMLA request but said I could get written approval from my executive director to take a personal leave of absence. Has anyone ever done that and got their job back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Money & Work

• You would have to be a very valued, irreplaceable employee for them to hold your job for you and by law, they don't have to. But if it was just a short leave, like no more than 3-4 weeks, they might approve it.
    Anonymous

• Why was your FMLA request denied? I'm not trying to be nosy, but depending on what it is, you might have grounds to try to fight it.

Basically, though, if you're working in an at-will state, if FMLA doesn't apply for whatever reason, you really have no job security while on leave. If they give you something in writing that says they will hold your job for you until you come back from leave, that would then give you a leg to stand on if they let you go, but otherwise, all you can really do is take your leave (if approved) and hope for the best.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have... 3 times. I kept trying to quit my job at a CVS to go work at a summer camp. They kept telling me they'd give me a leave if I came back in the fall. So I took 3 months off 3 years in a row. Strange I know... but I was hoping they wouldn't take me back so... but they did every time!! LOL

I'd be curious to know why they denied you as well...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have. Twice. First time for almost 2yrs to be caregiver to the adoptive mother with lung cancer. And then more than 10 months as caregiver for my husbands step father with Alzheimer's. When I went back, they were very gracious to offer me work. But both times my spot & schedule had been taken. I was low man on the totem pole and had to wait for 'my' position to open again. But I had a paycheck.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My husband did after his motorcycle accident. He was out for far longer than he had accumulated sick leave for, but they still kept him on at full pay.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• No but as the executive director I have approved them.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2012