How long did it take to crate train your puppy?

I wasn't going to do it for a while but after the day I had yesterday, I decided I had to do something different NOW. Bought a little kennel and puppy slept 6 hours straight last night in it! She napped in it before bed, and went back in it after the 6 hours, and every time she came out she went straight to her pad and peed (had 1 poop accident when I was out of the room). But it's the sleep that got me - she's never slept more than 2.5 hours before!

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 1:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Pets

• I hasn't ever taken me more than a week. However, I've only had labs and GSD's so maybe there is a difference there.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• A couple of weeks for my puppy. But my kids STILL aren't crate trained.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• We used the crate for a year. But he spent a lot of time out of it, just when we went out we put him in there. Now he goes in on his own. We never shut the door anymore.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I don't know for sure. When we crate trained our dog I think we were more trained but we kept up the routine for months. He seemed to learn early on. He had two pee accidents in the house and then never did again. I think the crate training helped keep him from bad habits like chewing on things he wasn't supposed to. He knew his toys and didn't chew up things that weren't meant for him.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• two weeks for the first one - she's BRILLIANT!
    A month for the 2nd one - but she still manages to drop one poop - today I found it in her fav spot! The dang laundry room on the dirty towels! She's the dumb one!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 4:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2012