Audio books? Any good suggestions?

My parents are leaving on a 6 month tour of the U.S. I know they would love some audio books for Christmas. I was planning on buying Boardwalk Empire for them, but at Barnes and Noble they have a sample. Joe Mantega was the voice, and I about fell asleep listening to it.
Do any of you have suggestions?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 1:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Shopping

• The Greatest Generation, about WWII, is on CD. That was fascinating, hearing the stories from people who had actually lived through the events. Lake Woebegone and others in that series are good, also narrated by the author. If you like religious book, try "God's Trombones"--I can't remember who wrote it, but it contains some of the most incredible Negro spiritual preaching I've ever heard. Like Water for Chocolate is also excellent.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• The only audio book I ever bought was Al Franken's Oh The Things I Know! Hilariously entertaining.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Is the Greatest Generation really graphic? My mom is from Austria, and my dad's family came over during WWII, I will investigate the rest, but if Water for Chocolate is like the movie, afraid my tight lipped mother might find it too sexy, lol. Who knows maybe at the age of 70 and 79 it might inspire them to be "frisky" on the road?
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2012