Do you check the placement of all the kids in your car before you put it in drive? adult content

This should be a real DUH question, shouldn't it?

Just picked up DS from school. The car in front of me in line was picking up 3 or 4 kids, and the last one getting in had a violin case (5th or 6th grade). She was standing hunched over with her feet on the door jam, still handing her violin case to another kid in the backseat. Most of her legs and back were still outside the open door, when the car started driving away.

I can see someone with a big van not being able to see all the kids aren't strapped in at a glance, but how the fuck do you not notice the door to your little 4 door car is still open and a kid is hanging out of it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• Yes. I always do.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I only have one and he just moved to a booster seat so I have to physically strap him in each time, so yes.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• hell even with adults I say everybody in, everybody buckled up and actually LOOK to make sure they are
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Most definitely! Even though mine is still in a car seat I buckle him. Put my seat belt on then turn and re check him. I,see too many kids hanging outta windows or not in their seats. And the parents on their phones. Ugh
    Babicakes24

Answer by Babicakes24 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I do, hubby doesn't always. I make sure I hear the click of their seat belts or have visually checked before I even turn the car on.

The other day I was waiting in the car for my dad to come out of the store. As I am setting there, this lady gets her baby out of the car, sits him on the tailgate (with one of the rests hanging half off) and reaches back in the car! I was freaking out. I mean, I get that sometimes you have to move the car seat to get to other stuff, but couldn't she have at least made sure the damn thing was all the way on her car?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2012