Do you check the placement of all the kids in your car before you put it in drive? adult content

This should be a real DUH question, shouldn't it?

Just picked up DS from school. The car in front of me in line was picking up 3 or 4 kids, and the last one getting in had a violin case (5th or 6th grade). She was standing hunched over with her feet on the door jam, still handing her violin case to another kid in the backseat. Most of her legs and back were still outside the open door, when the car started driving away.

I can see someone with a big van not being able to see all the kids aren't strapped in at a glance, but how the fuck do you not notice the door to your little 4 door car is still open and a kid is hanging out of it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• People are idiots I see stuff like this on a daily basis at my 7yo school.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• hell even with adults I say everybody in, everybody buckled up and actually LOOK to make sure they are
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• That's nuts! Moron drivers everywhere. I hardly ever have other kids in my car other than my one and only.. but if I do, I make sure they're all in, sitting right, and seat belts on. Wtf!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Holy crap that would scare me to death.

Also, I wish I could answer this question with any level of truthfulness but I don't even remember taking my kids to school lol. I will say, though, that when I was caring for my granddaughter and walked her to school there was a parent whose kid opened the van door about 1/2 block from the school, while the van was moving. Freaked me out. I could just picture him falling out and her running over her own kid
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes, my 14 year old refuses to ride in the back seat with her brother, I use my car for work, so if she was to sit in the front, I would have to move my computer, briefcase etc. EVERYTIME I pick her up she thinks she is some kind of acrobat, making it appear that she is sitting in the front! I can't tell you how many close calls we have had with her removing her seatbelt to appear she is sitting in front. I now feel like a seatbelt nazi, I check her out every minute!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes I do. Omg on what you saw! What if the child had been hurt?!?!

My daughter took her arms out of the car seat last week And I about died. We were on the freeway. I was In the passenger seat and totally jumped back there to buckle her.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• That's just crazy. How could someone not notice their kid still getting into a car? I really can't comprehend that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I always do
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I should add that her brother will spout off statistics of people who don't wear a seatbelt the entire time! He calls her deathwish, I am not sure if it is because of me, or the fact that her refusal to be next to him might result in us all getting killed. My husband has a 2 seat car, so even when he does pick them up, we have to trade, she would like him to pick her up first and then come back to pick up our son! Does 14 end soon?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2012