Night time potty training...

My daughter turned 3 in October and is still wearing pull ups at night. She has been fully day time potty trained since right before her second birthday, and she stays dry during naps. I'm just wondering if anyone has tips on how to help a little one get through the night without peeing the bed. I haven't really tried anything yet, but I want to start working on it because I'm due with baby number 2 in about 6 months and I don't want to be buying diapers and pull ups. Is she too young to push it? some nights her pull up stays dry, but most of the time she has peed once or twice in it before waking in the morning.

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unfortunately, the only way for this to happen is for her to mature. You can't rush this and it's not a learnable skill. Sorry but you will probably be buying both for at least a little while.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• She is small and can't control her wake up signal yet, buy the darn pull ups and don't push her.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Could you start stocking up now on pull-ups so it doesn't hit your budget all at once? I used to get mine in bulk at Diapers.com. Great prices, and the Kirkland brand was cheaper, but definitely just as good as the pricier choices.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have five little ones so it seems like I was constantly potty training. I have never pushed night time - just let it happen. My oldest just night trained this summer at 6 years old (history of bed wetting on my husband's side of the family). My next three all night trained around the time they potty trained. One took about a year and the other two did it within weeks.

I always made a big deal when they were dry. I also have them go right before bedtime. We never reduced fluid intake at night - in fact all our kids have a water bottle in their beds in case they get thirsty at night. That seems to have no effect on them staying dry. :)

You could also look into cloth pull-ups for nighttime!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• The only thing I did was go in and wake my DD up to go potty around the time she would normally wake up crying and pee in her pull up. Before she went on vacation with Daddy for 13 days she was about 50/50 when waking. Some days were dry and others wet. She hasn't really gotten back on the same schedule and vacation was 3 mos ago. I figure she will figure it out by the time she is 5 or so. I continue to buy them. If they are dry in the morning then we save and reuse the next night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2012