Do you believe that people who do not attend church every Sunday are not Christian? Do you believe God takes attendance?

My daughter attends a religious school as did I. I went to mass every morning and on Sunday Mornings. My daughter does the same now and attends Keysis for 2 hours after Mass on Sunday. The other day this girl (who is a friend of my daughters) said, Catholics are not Christian and neither are people who do not go to church/worship services on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I asked if she thought God took attendance and she replied yes. I found it interesting to have such a small view of religion. What do you think?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Religious Debate

• My neighbors attend church every Sunday, but still manage to be complete assholes during the rest of the week.  I don't think going to church is any indication of anything, except how you like to spend those extra hours during the week.  I know people who attend church regularly who haven't the slightest clue about living graciously or compassionately, and I know people who wouldn't come within 100 yards of a church who are among the most compassionate, loving and giving people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• What do you think?

I think at soon as the words "Catholics are not Christian" came out of her mouth you should've written off anything else she said as the teachings of a bigoted church and/or family.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No I do not think that people who do not attend church regularly are not Christians.  I think God judges our hearts not our church attendance. 

I think church can be good for fellowship and for learning if you are not a self motivated learner (is that even a word?), but I think church can be really bad for drama queens that stay home all week and use the prayer chain as a gossip chain. 

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• well seeing as the first Christians had no churches to attend, but rather met wherever they could (usually ppl's houses) i'd say she's just repeating what she's heard from her parents. if she ever reads the Bible for herself and/or does any study into the history of Christianity she will realize how wrong she was. she's a kid and hopefully she will put in the energy to actually learn about her faith instead of being one of the many Christian drones who never think for themselves but rather let the preacher/pastor do it for them.

and where is this Friday thing coming from? ive never heard that...and i was raised by "we will be there every time the church's doors are open" parents.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• While I don't think God takes attendance and there are no "rules" for church attendance to be a Christian, I do think generally you can tell a lot about someone by where they spend their time

Answer by missanc at 5:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Last I checked, tere are no written rules in the bible about the number of days you attend. Of course, I am not a Christian, so my view may not mean anything.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Kind of sad that the girl has such a narrow view of religion. Hopefully her mind will expand as she matures.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• How old is this child... sounds like she still has a long education in front of her...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No I don't think you need to attend church but life is so hectic, that its easy to stop taking time out for reflection.  For me it helps to have a designated regular time that I spend in prayer and reflection.  Going to church centers me again.  I spend other times praying but I struggle to do this regularly, life is very distracting!

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes I think he does,but only to smite the arrogant people that think church attendence is mandatory for being "Christian".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2012