Do you believe that people who do not attend church every Sunday are not Christian? Do you believe God takes attendance?

My daughter attends a religious school as did I. I went to mass every morning and on Sunday Mornings. My daughter does the same now and attends Keysis for 2 hours after Mass on Sunday. The other day this girl (who is a friend of my daughters) said, Catholics are not Christian and neither are people who do not go to church/worship services on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I asked if she thought God took attendance and she replied yes. I found it interesting to have such a small view of religion. What do you think?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Religious Debate

• My neighbors attend church every Sunday, but still manage to be complete assholes during the rest of the week.  I don't think going to church is any indication of anything, except how you like to spend those extra hours during the week.  I know people who attend church regularly who haven't the slightest clue about living graciously or compassionately, and I know people who wouldn't come within 100 yards of a church who are among the most compassionate, loving and giving people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I think that attending church is part of being a Christian but if you don't attend everytime the doors are open I don't see Jesus taking attendence. He wants us to worship with other believers. At the same time my grandfather didn't attend church often but was one of the people who lead me to Christ by his actions & faith. I found out after he died that there was a good chance he couldn't read well and was scared of being called on to read in front of others.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• no and no

Answer by older at 6:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I don't think going to church makes you a Christian anymore than spoons make people fat. I'm a Christian and I don't have a church home right now because its hard to find a church that makes you feel comfortable and doesn't have clicks.
    healedbystripes

Answer by healedbystripes at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• God doesn't care if you go sit in a man made building and listen to some man/woman tell you what their interpretation of the Bible is. God cares about what is in your heart. Man cares about the outside. That little girl is in for a very rude awaking as she gets older.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• "Do you believe that people who do not attend church every Sunday are not Christian?" Of course not.

The bible does say not to forsake the gathering of the brethren but God looks at our hearts, not our church attendance. We can attend every day and still not have a relationship with Jesus.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Free for All My daughter does attend a real school. It is one of the top ranked schools. The girl who said this attends public school and is Evangelical Christian.

booklover545

Comment by booklover545 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• The girl is just spewing out the bs that she's taught by her parents and consequently her church, I'm assuming. People like that will be awfully surprised when they find out what God really thinks of that kind of thinking.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Yes I think he does,but only to smite the arrogant people that think church attendence is mandatory for being "Christian".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No I don't think you need to attend church but life is so hectic, that its easy to stop taking time out for reflection.  For me it helps to have a designated regular time that I spend in prayer and reflection.  Going to church centers me again.  I spend other times praying but I struggle to do this regularly, life is very distracting!

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2012