The recommended age to talk to your child about sex is 12. Do you think that is the right age? Did you find it difficult to talk to your child about sex?

I did not find it difficult to talk about sex with my daughter. I bought her a book when she was 13, which I read first. I told her to read it and I would answer any questions. It seems to me that it is so often presented as this huge talk but for me and my daughter it is an ongoing conversation.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• It should be an ongoing discussion, answering questions as they arise with the degree of technicality they are asked. So if your 4 year old asks where babies come from, he doesn't need to understand the function of the fallopian tubes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• 12 seems late. i remember learning that at 10 and half of it i already knew. my parents never gave me "the talk" but they are prudes. they just let the school do it haha.

my oldest is 4 and hasnt asked me anything more than "whats that gray thing on brother?" meaning his penis. i said "thats called a penis and its what boys pee pee out of". that was good enough for her. this kinda stuff doesnt bother me at all...but then i plan on teaching sex ed.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• We've always talked openly about everything. So, there is really nothing to really discuss and we continue to talk about everything. I know , the kids have school have told him probably more graphic details than I have.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• i think 12 is too late as well...as my daughters ask ?s ill answer them..i have a plan in place on how to have the talk and things id like to do to hopefully prevent pregnancy and all the mistakes i made when i was younger! hopefully i dont have to put my action plan into work for awhile since my girls are 4 and 1 yrs old lol..but plans change and i hope to have an open relationship with them and to educate them on sex and anyother life questions they have
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Wow. 12? Well I know pregnant 12 year olds. Sorry but that talk is coming sooner. And 12 year olds drinking. And 12 year olds giving blow jobs. Nope, not waiting.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I think the talk will happen at our house at an earlier age.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have always been honest with my kids. My 5 year old has been asking some questions here lately, and I have been answering her honestly, but in words she understands. So, I'm not telling her the specifics of how sex works, but she does know the names of body parts and that boys are different then girls. I will continue to answer her questions honestly. I having a feelig they may start to get more awkward, but not difficult. I just feel weird talking about se with anyone, let alone my kids.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My daughter is 11 and she knows enough but in her opinion it is just gross.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have educated my children about sex forever, by the age of 5 they knew how babies were made, as now the owner of a teenage daughter, although she pouts, she is open and honest with me, I am really more worried about my 8 year old who is very interested in the opposite sex. I say as long as the kids communicate with you and know they can ask you about anything you are good.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• That seems WAY too late to me. I started the talks as soon as the questions started. I answered each question just enough to answer their specific inquiry and, as they grew older, expanded on those answers
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2012