The recommended age to talk to your child about sex is 12. Do you think that is the right age? Did you find it difficult to talk to your child about sex?

I did not find it difficult to talk about sex with my daughter. I bought her a book when she was 13, which I read first. I told her to read it and I would answer any questions. It seems to me that it is so often presented as this huge talk but for me and my daughter it is an ongoing conversation.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• It should be an ongoing discussion, answering questions as they arise with the degree of technicality they are asked. So if your 4 year old asks where babies come from, he doesn't need to understand the function of the fallopian tubes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My daughter is 11 and she knows enough but in her opinion it is just gross.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I'm curious who came up with twelve as the recommended age and why. My daughter is much younger, but she's asked what body parts are and been given their proper names.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• My sons are 11 and 9 and we've already been talking about sex. They don't know the details of Tab A into Slot B, but they know some of the basics about it. My oldest is into puberty now, so we've talked about his body and its changes, the ones it's already making and the ones that will be coming.

Is it difficult? I don't know that I'd say difficult, but maybe a little awkward. They are both boys, so it's awkward for them to talk to their mother, and will probably get more awkward down the road. But I'm a single mom, so I'm it. The way I look at it is that I'd rather have the awkward talks about sex before, rather the awkward talks about pregnancy and single parenting after.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• That seems WAY too late to me. I started the talks as soon as the questions started. I answered each question just enough to answer their specific inquiry and, as they grew older, expanded on those answers
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• We've always talked openly about everything. So, there is really nothing to really discuss and we continue to talk about everything. I know , the kids have school have told him probably more graphic details than I have.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Recommended by whom?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• If you wait until they're 12, their classmates will take care of that for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have educated my children about sex forever, by the age of 5 they knew how babies were made, as now the owner of a teenage daughter, although she pouts, she is open and honest with me, I am really more worried about my 8 year old who is very interested in the opposite sex. I say as long as the kids communicate with you and know they can ask you about anything you are good.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have always been honest with my kids. My 5 year old has been asking some questions here lately, and I have been answering her honestly, but in words she understands. So, I'm not telling her the specifics of how sex works, but she does know the names of body parts and that boys are different then girls. I will continue to answer her questions honestly. I having a feelig they may start to get more awkward, but not difficult. I just feel weird talking about se with anyone, let alone my kids.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2012