The recommended age to talk to your child about sex is 12. Do you think that is the right age? Did you find it difficult to talk to your child about sex?

I did not find it difficult to talk about sex with my daughter. I bought her a book when she was 13, which I read first. I told her to read it and I would answer any questions. It seems to me that it is so often presented as this huge talk but for me and my daughter it is an ongoing conversation.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think the talk will happen at our house at an earlier age.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Wow. 12? Well I know pregnant 12 year olds. Sorry but that talk is coming sooner. And 12 year olds drinking. And 12 year olds giving blow jobs. Nope, not waiting.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• i think 12 is too late as well...as my daughters ask ?s ill answer them..i have a plan in place on how to have the talk and things id like to do to hopefully prevent pregnancy and all the mistakes i made when i was younger! hopefully i dont have to put my action plan into work for awhile since my girls are 4 and 1 yrs old lol..but plans change and i hope to have an open relationship with them and to educate them on sex and anyother life questions they have
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• 12 seems late. i remember learning that at 10 and half of it i already knew. my parents never gave me "the talk" but they are prudes. they just let the school do it haha.

my oldest is 4 and hasnt asked me anything more than "whats that gray thing on brother?" meaning his penis. i said "thats called a penis and its what boys pee pee out of". that was good enough for her. this kinda stuff doesnt bother me at all...but then i plan on teaching sex ed.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2012