How do you use alkaseltzer to clean out drains?

I saw an article in re: Using seltzer tablets (mixing w/ something) to unclog drains in a bathroom sink. Need the combination of ingredients, pls. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hhmm never heard that. but couldn't you use vinegar and baking soda, like an old school volcano you used to make in jr high? that would be the same concept. sprinkle some baking soda down there and slowly pour some vinegar. let sit for a bit and flush with hot water. sure you could google some "green" web sites and find specific measurements to do this. I have a go natural woman book, but it's packed cause i move in 3 days or i would look it up.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I always use the baking soda with white vinegar, too. Have for years and always have fresh, clean-smelling drains that run smoothly.
    I use a spoon to pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then follow with 1-2 cups of white vinegar slowly. Allow it to foam as you add it slowly....this means that it is working. Let it sit for 30 minutes. In the meantime, boil a kettle of water and pour it down the drain to rinse away what the baking soda and vinegar has cleaned off the sides of your pipe.
    If you have a double sink, do both at the same time or it will not work.
    Alka-Seltzer is good for toilets. Plunk a few (4 or 5) into your toilet and let them sit (30 minutes?), then scrub and flush.
    What I found works awesome after scrubbing a toilet clean is plunking one of those Clorox bleach tablets into the tank that freshens and sanitizes the toilet between flushings and keeps it cleaner longer.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009