There is something on the news about mummies, and something on AOL about a grave yard in mexico they found. We are not allowed to dig up bodies now, What makes it any better for them to dig these up even if they are Ancient???

I dont care if its for research or whatever, these bodies in mexico have been put to rest... let them rest... This means in 1000 years when people are doing some more research, they are going to dig up our pretty little coffins

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 10:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We just talked about this in my Cultural Diversity class. Personally, I just don't see what we need to know that can be learned by taking these bodies out of their final resting places.

I just imagine how I would feel if someone wanted to dig up my ancestors in the name of science or history or whatever. It's just not right.
    Lennon_Molly

Answer by Lennon_Molly at 1:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• yes honey, it's all in the name of science
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Point blank its wrong. Your body has been put to rest... let the damn person rest!
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Thats why I am going to be cremated, so they can't do that, not to mention its a little creepy ya think I mean I wouldn't want to be diggin up a burial ground

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We are allowed to dig up bodies now. You need next of kin's permission if there IS a next of kin, but 1000 years later, that's not very likely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Ok but any random person isnt allowed to dig up bodies. And whoever gave these people permission are wrong. Poor bodies
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• There's a whole lot of reasons I want to be cremated! First of all I think burial is a waste of space that could be put to better use than a bunch of cement boxes buried there. Second, I don't want anybody digging up my "remains" from this life in a hundred or 500 or a thousand years. and third I'M CLAUSTROPHOBIC! NO coffin for me, just sprinkle my ashes somewhere in the forest, you know, "ashes to ashes, dust to dust"...
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• why do they want to dig them up?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Have you never studied history of any kind? Do you not realize that much of the information is gathered from archaeological excavations?

What a bizarre thing to be worried about - we don't mummify people anymore so the chances of anything being left in or of your "pretty little coffin" other than dirt & bugs is slim to none! 

AND that's assuming some future developer doesn't buy & build over the cemetery you've been laid to rest in.

Personally I'd MUCH rather a scientist who cares about & treats his finds with respect discover my remains in 1000 years (that would be cool!) - over some bulldozer tearing up the entire cemetery to put up another shopping mall!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Absolutely, beachmama.

I plan to be cremated, but it's not as though these "mummies" are feeling it. They are still at rest. Just their bodies are being moved.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009