13 yr old and boys

My 13 yr old got into trouble at school for kissing, her boyfriend of two weeks. The school did not call me - she told me about it. her response was, MOM it's been two weeks.
I explained to her that okay, kissing - hand holding - that's all. she asked about hugs - I was like - ummm - -

What or where should you draw the line?

Good or bad advice on my part?

I can't stop her and I don't want that reverse thing happening - like mom says no to kissing so i'm going to do it all.

Advice Please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you handled it reasonably. Going crazy, would not be wise because she came to you. Don't squelch that precious line of communication. Do make sure to be clear that you don't approve of what she did, especially at school, though.

We have a 13yo dd who was new to the school and the boys went wild. She got a lot of attention and was getting really flirty and distracted (this according to teachers.) Well, DH was very antiboy, naturally. The bottom line is we really started stressing that school is for learning, not for dating. Something is working, because her grades are fantastic and teachers report her focus is much improved. We of course are vigilant about checking with parents to be sure that she and her friends are carefully supervised whenever she is out of school and not with us. It's a dangerous time for kids to get physical because their brains are not ready to say no to what their body is telling them.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I have a 14 year old, and she had one kiss, I explained that is fine, but kids need to know that kissing at school is unacceptable. I think you are fine and so is she, but be sure to tell her that feelings are great, but acting on them may lead to trouble.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No way would I be telling my 13 yo that kissing a bf of 2 weeks is okay. It's against the rules at school and she should be supervised anywhere else they are, there would be no time/place to kiss. My dd is 11 and I have serious talks with her about how important it is to be in a long term committed relationship before you start a physical relationship, of any sort. If you start kissing at 13, generally you move on to more intimate acts sooner as well.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2012