5 year old

lying? fibbing??

we've talked to him about it.. and each time something happens he just says no it wasn't me.. i ask like 4-5 times and then i get the yeah i did it.. followed by tons of crying.. then screaming like someone is hurting him.. when no one has ever touched him!

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow! I just don't know. Here is a bump. Maybe someone else willbe better able to help.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

•  

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/lies.html

http://www.scholastic.com/resources/article/the-truth-about-lying

*not sure why they are not coming out as links- but those are 2 sites I found (of many)

hope it helps

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• all kids lie- if you do a search foe why kids lie-there will be a few sites that come up that explain WHY they do it- that it IS normal and what to do about it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• I punish harshly for lying. My girls know it and I have only had to follow through a few times. They get into less trouble when they tell the truth than when they lie.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Because Lying is not showing respect or helping mom and dad fix what is bothering you - IDK clearly I am only giving my advice and this doesn't always work either, I am a first time mom and most times just keep trying til something sinks in. for him!~ good luck mama
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• my 5 year old blames his baby talk and pulling down his pants to show his "tushy" on a friend at daycare.,.. he knows better, then blames his friend.. down right irritating, we don't call it fibbing but he does tend to make up weird off the wall stories which I imagine might be the same thing.. over active imagination !~ LOL! don't DRILL him to make him tell the "truth" ask him 1 or 2 times, remind him how he won't get in trouble for telling the truth EVER.. If our son does something bad and admits it, we have to somewhat bite our parenting discipline, thank him for telling the truth and remind him how important it is to tell mommy and daddy the truth, if it is worth it, we will thank him for the honesty then tell him he lost his show/toy or whatever but only for ONE night instead of 3 for being such a good boy being honest.. reinforce! if he doesn't admit, say Ok, I believe you, I know my son wouldn't lie to his Mom/dad..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2012