Someone tell me about Elf on a Shelf?

I have heard about it; it seems like a really cute idea. I'd like to try it. Can someone specify what it's all about/how it's done?

:)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in Holidays

• Elf on a Shelf comes with a book. He watches the kids during the day and reports to Santa at night.

He's mischievous and likes to pull pranks. If you set him on a shelf, mantle etc. The kids will wake up and find him somewhere else. Once, our elf, Ed, decided to climb into the freezer because he missed the North Pole.
    On Christmas Eve, when Santa comes, he hitches a ride back to the North Pole with Santa, to return the next Christmas season.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• the woman who owns the zumba studio I go to got one the other day and she posts pics on FB of the trouble it has caused each day- the first day it toilet papered the tree, the next day it drew on the walls and was caught in the pic holding the marker...and this morning it had spilled oatmeal flakes all over when it mad the kids breakfast! Too funny/cute

I had never heard of this until maybe 2 yrs ago- on CM!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• This is the 3rd night with out elf and I'm already out of ideas lol. Tonight he's hanging from the ceiling fan.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• The way it was explained to me was that it was kind of Santa's spy that reports on behavior, and that he comes to life and gets into all sorts of crazy antics when nobody is watching, and back to a doll when you come in. The kids have fun "catching" him doing all his crazy stuff. For example, a friend of mine set him up having a tea party with a bunch of Barbies, or playing HiHo Cherry-O with Buzz Lightyear and Woody dolls. It is a lot of fun.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• http://www.elfontheshelf.com/AboutUs/TheTradition.aspx

This article was very good. I have been wondering too. What a cute idea. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• this is our first year and my 4 yo LOVES him. if you buy an elf (some ppl make them) he comes with a book that explains it all, but what the ladies here have said is basically it. except, no one can touch him or he will lose his magic. i havent had ours do anything mischievous yet b/c im afraid my toddler will grab him and my 4 yo would be so upset! DDs favorite part was naming him, ours is named Twinkle (after the song).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• It's a lot of fun. My 5 yr old jumps out of bed with no problems every morning to find, Ginger, our elf.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Thanks, girls! I'll check out the link. Thinking of doing this. Too fun!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Oh how fun!!!! I think I just have to do this! ...low on money, though. Will probably find a cheap elf somewhere and use him. lol. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• So excited to do this!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2012