Two year old will not sleep in his bed. We live in an apartment.

My two year old son will not sleep in his bed. He will say mommys bed and scream bloody murder for an hour. What do we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• Don't feel bad. My kid is 5 and he still prefers to sleep in my bed. My hubby works offshore and is basically never at home. It can be frustrating sometimes but I really don't mind it. I tried all the tactics to get him to sleep in his room but he just wakes up in the the middle of the night and gets back in my bed. I bring him back to his room then in 20 minutes he's back in my bed again. If the thought of co sleeping horrifies you be very firm and consistant. The screaming will break your heart and go against your instinct to make him feel better. You've gotta be stone cold. I know eventually my kid will want to be in his room but for now our arrangement works but it's not for everyone. If you are determined to keep him out stick to the same routine every time and do not give in. Get neighbors an I'm sorry my kid is screaming through the night but it will be over soon gift.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• My dd doctor told us to give her a little bendryl for a few nights - once he realizes he can stay in there and that it's okay. He'll be fine. My parents told me I could stay up as late as I wanted, as long, as I stayed in my room - no wondering around the house. She loves to tell how she had to listen to my little record player, many, many nights. Yes, record player - I'm old...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• You're not a crappy mom. MANY moms don't have this down by now. No worries.

You might consider moving the bedtime back a little, to a time when he's not too tired but just tired enough to drop off quickly. Or dropping a nap.

The only crappy mom is the one who beats her child. Period. End of definition.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• i feel like a crappy mom for not having this down by now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• i read him a book and tuck him in and walk out. Everytime he comes out of his room i walk him back in say i love you put him back in his room and do it over and over and over again. We would just let him sleep with us but we dont ever get to have sex and get kicked by a two year old all night. Its really starting to take a toll on us. once he is in a dead sleep he will come to our room and crawl in our bed.
    Anonymous

• what suggestion have you tried?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• ok, we have tried that but our apartment is on the bottom floor and this kid has lungs like you wouldnt believe. I worry about the people above us?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Why not make a sleeping pallet on the floor of your room? You can keep moving it farther away each night, I wouldn't subject the neighbors to the noise of him screaming.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• wait until he is in a deep sleep and scoop him up and put him in his bed
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• Keep putting him back in his bed. You have to wait him out. Make no eye contact and say nothing after the original tuck in. It may take many many hours, but he will wear himself out and fall asleep.

BTW if you give in once it will make your life that much harder the next time b/c he will try to wait you out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2012