What's your "reason for the season" this time of year?

Curious how all people celebrate this holiday season. Or if you don't celebrate at all, and if so-do you get offended by all the people who do celebrate?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jesus Christ
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• For us it's more Family/Friends/Fun and Food...lol...lots and lots of goodies..
    Bc we are a mixed Religious belief family, we leave out all religious parts of this time
    a yr, except lately dh has been more towards pointing out aspects of mine and incorporating
    it into our Holiday plans..
    and for the curious, he is a (what I call) a non practicing Christian (Lutheran) and I am a Wiccan-ish Witch.
    But it's still family/friends/fun and LOTS of good food and drink...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• For me it's about remembering the hope and Good News Of Jesus Christ.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• grew up in Christian household and my dad LOVED Christmas- we always had the most beautiful trees-he would actually cut off branches or move them so the tree would be perfect and he would never let an ornament hang so that it touched any other ornament or branch-they had to hang freely and he would also tie tinsel on one by one.
    Once I grew up- I stopped believing in God, but I still celebrate the holiday. Partially because that's what I grew up with, but also because I love almost everything about it it- the lights- music- specials and movies- the idea of peace and kindness and all that AND because of my dad. He died a few days before Christmas 17 yrs ago and this time of year reminds me of him
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• *I also learned a thing or two about where the holiday came from and realised that it can be about whatever you WANT it to be about ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Well, I'm an atheist. But I still LOVE Christmas for many of the same reasons that Charlot said. It seems like people are so much more kind to each other.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Oh - I should also add that my 8 year old son believes in God and this season for him is all about the birth of Jesus. I do encourage this because it's what HE chooses to believe and I don't ever want him to make a decision based on my own beliefs. However, he does understand that everybody is free to believe/worship as they like and I'm very proud of my youngin.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• charlot-I love that your dad was so meticulous about the tree and how he loved christmas! What wonderful memories you must have! Thanks for sharing that.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• We have never celebrated Christmas and it does not bother me that others do but see the difference in how we observe our holidays as Muslims.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• gmasboy.....christmas is about the same for us. Family, friends, giving, loving and lots of good food and drink!!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2012