he said any day now but

so my doc said that she can come anyday now and he would be suprised if he sees me next week
im 38 weeks and he did not even check my cervix
then he said he was guessing she was 7lbs and 5 oz
he said it was just a guess
so i was wondering how he thinks that she is gonna be here anyday if he aint checked anything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• he might be able to tell depending how much you have dropped...
    Anonymous

• because you are full term, baby probably has dropped visibly, baby is in the right position (they can tell just by feeling your belly)
    Anonymous

• cervix dilation is NOT an indicator of when you go into labor lol. So even with a VE all he could do was "guess".

He probably has been doing this awhile and can feel/tell when the baby has dropped etc.. he doesn't need a vaginal exam to tell him that.

All doctors can do is make an educated guess, you could go into labor tomorrow or not until after 40 weeks. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No doctor can tell when a baby's going to come. Even dilation or effacement are NOT able to predict when a baby will come. You can be dropped for weeks, effaced like 90% for weeks, and even dilated at a 6 for weeks and your baby could have a totally different plan that what the doctor guesses. That's all it is... a guess.

Ignore your ignorant doctor and let you baby bake in peace as long as he/she wants to.
    Anonymous

• The above poster is absolutely correct. be grateful he isn't wanting to check you all of the time.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i think he is just guessing and giving you that to base it on to ease your mind there is nothing to tell when the baby is coming.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Maybe your doctor was saying that if you did go into labor anytime now, it wouln't be cause for worry? Or he could be setting you up for an unnecessary induction.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• dont he have to tell me if he is?????
    he told me aT my next appt if iv dilated
    we can set up a date for me to get induced
    but i said hell no
    i want to put something like that off as long as i can
    i dont want any drungs at all in any way shape or form
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• If you truly don't want drugs, DO NOT GET AN IV. If they tell you it is required so that you will stay hydrated, then tell them you are going to drink water. Another tip, stay home as long as possible. Are you in any Natural pregnancy groups? Here is a good one: Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth

There are lots of tips on how to avoid unnecessary interventions in a hospital.

squish

Answer by squish at 2:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• iv all ready told him no IV
    and i got a doula so she is gonna come over to my house
    and we will stay here as long as i can stand it then ya lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2009