Antibacterial soap and baby bottles/cups/plates etc.

Someone told me you shouldn't use antibacterial soap to clean baby stuff. Does anyone know what the reasoning is for that? Just curious.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It has something to do with the way it affects the plastic. It breaks it down somehow. Not exactly sure how, but I read it on the last pack of bottles I bought.
    Anonymous

• I haven't heard anything about it. As long as you rinse them well I don't see a problem. I use the Method products.
    Anonymous

• you aren't supposed to use antibacterial hand santizer on babies/kids because of the alcohol in it and them putting their hands in their mouths.

but as for antibacterial dish liquid, that's fine.
    Anonymous

• That makes more sense. Thanks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You shouldn't use antibacterial anything to clean anything. Exposing bacteria unnecessarily to antibiotics (which is what antibacterial soaps and lotions are) causes the bacteria to mutate and form resistant strains that are harder to kill. For example over-use of penicillins in hospitals have created super bugs like MRSA (Methicillin Resistant S. Aureus, a type of Staph) and VRSA that claim thousands of lives hospitals and nursing homes each year. Antibacterial products also clear out good bacteria. To keep your family healthy and support good immunity, plain old soap and water are fine. I'm not sure about how it reacts with plastics like others said. I come from working in hospitals and nursing homes where antibiotic abuse is a real problem and advocate that people use antibacterial products sparingly.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• As NovemberLove says, you shouldn't use ANY antibatercial products on ANYTHING or ANYONE. They are a huge marketing gimick that may very well pose a huge public health hazard in the coming years.
    Plain old soap and water are fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2009