Can I make my 6 month old's cereal using just water?

Or do I have to mix it with formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to use breastmilk or formula. No water.
    Anonymous

• the instructions say water or formula or milk, so YES you can use water, but chances are baby won't eat it. the formula/breastmilk add flavor to it. that stuff is bland, water doesn't help that :)
    Anonymous

• Water is fine. You don't want to give too much water at that age because you can upset the electrolyte balance and frankly, they need the calories. However, mixing a few tablespoons into cereal is fine. I believe I read that you don't want to give more than 4 oz of water at that age. The more solids your baby eats, the more water they can handle. I was training my daughter on a straw sippy cup with water beginning at 5 mo. She didn't actually get any water out until 6 mo. and it wasn't until much later that she got significant amounts.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I personally wouldn't mix it without formula or breastmilk because the cereal itself doesn't have any nutritional value
    Anonymous

• Cereal does have iron and calcium.
    Anonymous

• More nutrients in mashed natural foods. Cereal's only benefit is that it's bland. Mix it how you like. It's much of a muchness...still better for sticking up wallpaper. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I mix the cereal with water. If you get Gerber brand it has nutriblocks with iron, Zinc, and 6 B vitamins... and looking at the nutrition facts... (Daily Value) 5%protein, 15%calcium, 45%iron, 15%vitaminE, 25%Thiamin/25%riboflavin/25%niacin/25%B6, 25%folate, 25%B12, 10%phosphorus, and 20%zinc

It has quite a bit of nutrients in it by itself so water is fine... you may boost the calories and lipids using milk but if you are using milk or formula for most feedings it should be fine.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Oh and the nutrition facts are for Rice Single grain cereal

My sister is a biochemist working with foods and says the cereal is actually very good for babies and DOES have nutritional value unlike anon 10:56 says
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You can use water, but I found mine took it better when I mixed it with their formula. I also counted the ounce or two I used in mixing towards their daily intake.

As for nutrition...compared to formula or breast milk...cereal doesn't have that much nutritional value. It's filling, sure. There is some nutrition to it, sure. However, the number of calories from a serving of cereal and the nutrients in that serving are NOTHING compared to a babies liquid nutrition. And if used to replace formula or breast milk, when it's digested, they are often more hungry than usual.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You can use water. Once your LO starts on fruits you can mix it in with their pears, applesauce, etc. That's what I have been doing and my girl loves it. Also you can mix it with juice once they start on juice.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2009