10 mo. old is super squirmy and uncooperative!

Okay, I know she is only ten months old but this is getting ridiculous! It is soooo difficult to get her diaper changed or get her dressed for the day! She flips over at every opportunity during a diaper change. It is almost impossible to keep her still long enough to get a new diaper on (and believe me...I'm quick!). She is increasingly uncooperative when it comes to putting pants/socks or even a shirt on! She isn't upset, she is just busy, busy busy...things to grab, must stand up, must crawl across the room. Everything is a struggle. Meal time has become crazy too! She doesn't want to be spoon fed anymore. She wants to be in control...if it isn't finger food, then she won't open her mouth for the spoon unless she is in control of it....and when she is in control of the spoon ...something is being flung across my kitchen. Advice please.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It gets easier! When you're changing her diaper give her the new diaper to hang on to or give her the bottle of baby lotion to play with. My son is squirmy but content if he gets something to hang on to that I wouldn't normally let him have. When you're dressing her sing the "Dressing Pokey" song. You know like the hokey-pokey. As you put her arm through her sleeve sing, " you put your left arm in, you take your left arm out, you put your left arm through and you shake it all about...etc." And then shake her (gently) all about and she'll get a kick out of it. She'll become more cooperative here soon, but they will never just lye still again.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My 5-month old is the same and I have feeling it's not going to get any better. I have no advice....sorry. Hope things get better.
    Anonymous

• My son is the same way and he's only just now 6 months! I've almost just let him roll around without a diaper on because it's too difficult sometimes. But then I figured I'd rather struggle with a diaper than struggle to clean pee out of the carpet lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• welcome to my world :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• totally normal. A baby doesn't understand cooperation :)

I also sing, play peek-a-boo, hang a mobile, or let her old something she really likes (like diaper cream, lol).

There's not much you can do about it. But one day your baby will LOVe to get dressed. Mine hated it for forever, and now loves to get dressed and have her diaper changed.

Good luck.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009