I'm pregnant and I'm depressed. What do I do? Has anyone been through this?

I'm about 20 weeks pregnant and I've been battling with depression since the beginning of my pregnancy. Around 12 weeks I thought it was going away because I started to feel a little better but now it's back.

I cry all the time, I am extremely overwhelmed with school and have no interest in going (normally I love school), I'm tired all the time and have trouble just getting out of bed, and I feel really lonely.

What should I do? I'm afraid to ask the doctor because I don't want to be put on medication or treated with pitty. I am just really tired of feeling like this.

Has anyone been through this? What did you do to cope with and over come your depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that is all you can do is talk to your dr .. if your having it bad now then you may end up with it after the healthiest thing to do is talk to a dr they can help with some options
    Anonymous

• i was like that, they gave me zoloft and i was better :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Being pregnant is hard. I started crying at a restaurant because they forgot to bring my food out to me when I was pregnant. I would say something to the doctor he may have some suggestions to make you feel better. I dont think they would put you on any meds.

cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 11:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have that sometimes im 21 weeks and have times where i just feel very depressed and im not sure why. I try do happy things or think ok I gotta get my mind off this. Talking to people having friends around is good. Its just all your hormones playing with your emotions its horrible I know but I can over come it by setting my mind to something else. Feel free to message me privately if you need to talk.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• by 20 weeks I was a new person, felt wonderful and couldn't have been happier, so maybe your time is coming soon! i sure hope so.
    neenee32

Answer by neenee32 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have major clinical depression and have been on meds since I was 9yrs old. got off them when I was 17 and decided to go back on them when I turned 20.. I asked my dr. if the depression would get worse with pregnancy and he said it could but the meds that I was on were safe and could be adjusted if need be.

Depression is normal during pregnancy but if it concerns you, you could talk to your doctor about medication. It's nothing to be ashamed of especially since depression can cause you to stop taking care of yourself... my point was if I can't take care of myself, I can't take care of my baby. If you're concerned with the heath of your baby, just know that my son is extremely happy and good tempered. He also has had no health problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you Really need to talk to your dr about it..i had to get on depression meds becuase it was just too bad for me..if you dont want to go on meds, let your dr know that and he/she will probably have you talk w a therapist
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i am expericing the same problems, i am 24 weeks with my 2nd child and i never ever felt like this with him, but also this pregnancy has been the complete oppsite of my 1st pregnacy. i dont wanna talk to my drs either and my fiance sure doesnt understand my problems or needs. so maybe we can talk sometime.
    gurlieracer4

Answer by gurlieracer4 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I was in the same boat. I went to doc-explored options and I am on a low dose of Zoloft. The stress of depression is not good for baby. Baby needs a happy mom. Talk to your doc, mine made me feel better, but you are not alone.
    andrea5979

Answer by andrea5979 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009