Heating the kids' room...

So neither bedroom in my apartment has a heater, the only heater is a gas heater in my living room that's attached to the wall. So far we've used a box fan to "pull" the cold air out of the kids' room but last night it got cold, i mean really cold. My kids all climbed in one bed and huddled under all their blankets. So i need to go out and get a heater today but I'm not sure what to get. My kids are ages 5, 3, and 1.

I was thinking either a small ceramic heater or maybe some electric blankets. I am worried about the fire risk of have a small heater and I've heard electric blankets are bad for kids. Any thoughts or suggestions?

By the way, going to my landlord to get heat in the bedrooms is not an option, I had to get a lawyer to get him to fix the plumbing so we had a working shower and to fix a hole in our ceiling.

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 7:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Kids' Health

• They make heaters that are cool to the touch and ones that will.shut off if tipped over. I wouldn't like elect blankets, they still need to be warm when getting out of bed in the mornings to dress, etc. A safe elect heater should do fine. We lived in an older home, sounds just like yours when the kids were little. Than had the problem of fusses being blown, couldn't have the heater, refrigerator motor running and turn on the microwave at the same time. It was a mess...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Maybe get both. Turn the heater on at bedtime then when they're asleep turn it off and they'll have the blankets, then when you get up in the morning turn the heater back on so it's warm when they get up.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• There are so many options out there to heat the rooms. Please, Please - do not get the gas ones! Scary and oh so dangerous!
    If you have a computer and do on line shopping, there are space heaters (that do not require gas) on amazon for $23 and ones that can go as high as $75.
    Electric blankets are wonderful, but on little kids? I wouldn't because of their skin and how they roll in the blankets.
    Even cheaper, buy down comforters - they are warm and heavy and keep the heat.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I'm in the same boat as you. My SO won't let us run the heater so we use space heaters in our room at night. This is the first winter that my 5 year old has her own bedroom. I'm scared to run a heater in her room. What if it malfunctions and catches on fire, ya know. I'm also scared of electric blankets because what if she wets the bed. I've moved her into the room with me on the cold nights. Is that feasible for you?

I'm thankful I won't have to tolerate not being allowed to use the central heat much longer. The person we are moving in with promised me we will never be cold again.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• you need to move

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Sassy is right on. You may want electric blankets so you can use the heaters when everyone is awake. I'd start with the heater and add the electric blankets if you need them.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Our upstairs (where the kids sleep) is not heated at all (old farmhouse). It can get bitter cold up there. We purchased $29 electric heaters at a hardware store. We usually keep them on minimum and at a 2-3. They are very warm to the touch, but not enough to burn you. Though I think if we turned them on high they would burn.

Our kids are 6, 5, 4, 3, and 10 months. The only problem we have right now is the 10 month old shutting them off. :) They work great.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Thanks Sassy!
    SolaraDarkset

Comment by SolaraDarkset (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• That goes without saying Butterfly. The problem is finding a place I can afford.
    SolaraDarkset

Comment by SolaraDarkset (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• You can go with an infrared heater and leave the bedroom doors open at night.  Not sure how large your apartment / house is but this one is for 1000 sq. ft. and it's cool to the touch.  

http://electricfireplacesdirect.com/products-accessories/Colby-Portable-Infrared-Heater-10HM1342?utm_medium=cse&utm_term=Duraflame%20Colby%20Quartz%20Infrared%20Portable%20Home%20Heater&utm_campaign=cse&utm_source=googlebase&mr:trackingCode=768E50EA-A800-E111-8D66-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType={adtype}&mr:ad={creative}&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:filter={adwords_producttargetid}&gclid=COif4YiAhrQCFU6mPAod3TgAqw

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2012