Does your teen know what he wants to do after High School?

Mine just told me (I think he's testing me) that he doesn't want to go to college! That he wants to go to real estate school and become a realtor - W T H???!!!

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 9:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I think only a few kids really know what they want to do when they graduate....and even fewer actually do it.

My three boys are 21, 23 and 30.

The 30 year old wanted to go into film....we live in Los Angeles. He started out in that direction, but is now in computers.

The 23 year old wanted to compose musical scores for film, but planned on a double major so he could teach high school music.
    He is the closest to what he intended. He's a sound engineer, and still working on music composition.

The 21 year old wanted to go into accounting, but changed his major after a year. He's getting a degree in business and paralegal studies, and wants to go on to law school

When the actually get into school, or start working new worlds open up to them or they see opportunities differently than they did when they graduated from high school.

As for real estate- it's a tough job right now, but having a goal is a good
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• IF he passes high school, he wants to go to college for either a high school history teacher or a computer game designer. He knows that in order to live in my house after 18, he has to graduate high school and be in college at least part time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I wish he did. He doesn't have a clue. He's a junior, and college isn't really on the radar.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• My kids are only 11 and almost 13 but we're already talking about it. I would really look into being a realtor. Look at how many people get their license vs how many people are still going it 2-3 years later. Talk to some realtors. Point out to him that realtors work most weekends and a lot of nights, because that's when everyone else is off work.
    My ex was a realtor, for 3 years. It sucked big time! Yes, if you make it big you can live nice, but that's a very small percentage of realtors. Many of them have 2nd jobs or use it as a 2nd income in a 2 adult household.

Answer by missanc at 11:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Mine alerady doesn't know what he will do next year so after high school ... He probably won't go to high school anyway seeing how much he likes school (and how much school likes him)... He will probably do an apprenticeship if he ever manage to know what interests him.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• My son just graduated. Straight A student. says he doesnt want to take classes for college right now ..wants a break. Working full time managing a pizza place and I hate this. I know the longer he waits the more apt he is not to go back to school.
    But its his choise
    sgarfield

Answer by sgarfield at 10:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• My daughter knew what she wanted by her Sophomore/ Jr year
    and is now in college going for it

My son...we are just trying to get him to graduate at this point. He is a Jr. and I don't think he know WHAT he wants
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2012

• What's wrong with being a realtor? Mine wants to go to school,for diesel mechanics which he will also take at the vocational school.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2012