Go Washington state!

Legalizing marijuana for recreational use among adults, AND gay marriage! This is amazing. So funny, I was talking to the girl at the gas station this morning about this and I was about to say, "Washington is so much more progressive than Idaho" but she interupted me and said "sleazy". Lol

Do people not recognize that this isn't about drugs or marriage? It's about freedom to CHOOSE what you do with your body and your life, rather than the government making decisions for you? The drug war has cost thousands of lives and billions of dollars, arresting and throwing non violent people in jail is not productive. And why does the government think it can tell us what PLANTS we can and cannot consume?

Anyway, congrats Washington. You've made a great stride for freedom.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Go Washington state!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2012

• Booklover- It's still illegal to have if your under 21,and you're only allowed to smoke in your home, but even before it became legal, it was super easy to get. Just saying if they wanted to, they would get it anyway. Doesn't matter what state you live in. Although Hemp fest ( a yearly seattle celebration) is going to be HUGE this summer!! Keep them away from downtown when that is going on!! :)
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Federal law still makes it illegal. Personally, I have some concerns. My child is a teenager and we live in Washington during the summer. Since she and her friends generally have disposable incomes and credit cards it is a concern.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• In Washington State, an adult, law abiding tax paying citizen *should* have the right to direct his own life and make his own personal decisions free of the interference of the State. smoke weed, marry same sex, or obtain your original certificate of birth...
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 2:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• They'll only get involved if there's trafficking from WA to OR or illegal grow gardens, I believe Prawny. Also the amt. your caught with.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I'll be honest, I don't think the Feds are going to do much of anything about this. If you think about it, it's the perfect solution. It gives the voters what they really want AND it gets the Feds what they want, as well. A way out of never ending drug wars that allows them to save face.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Actually OP, I'm glad WA. voted in legalization of Marijuana before Oregon. We'll sit back and watch what steps Washington does take.
    Whatever mistakes they make, we'll learn from.
    As someone said earlier, it's still illegal on the Federal level and Federal trumps State.
    July 4th will be nuts here in Oregon with Oregonians driving to WA to purchase illegal fireworks and Marijuana, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• So what's the plan? Catch a buzz & go to a gay wedding? Sounds like a full weekend! And when the munchies kick in, there's cake! lol :p (Seriously tho- I wish the rest of the U.S. would catch up)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• The WA law (and CO) has a lot of issues with it, and Im curious to see what will happen. As in Oregon, it's still a federal offense to possess marijuana... As a treatment provider, my biggest worry isnt availability to the casual smoker, etc. That's always going to be there, and I have bigger issues to get my tit in a wringer over (to coin a phrase), but I do worry about the threat of federal dollars drying up to treatment providers in those states who allow recreational marijuana use. We havent seen that yet, because this is all new, but the threat is hanging out there. Id hate to see that, because people with addictions to meth for example need those dollars for their treatment....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• What the hell does that have to do with Jackie's OP? ^^

Why don't you open your own thread?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2012