Need help, 4 y/o getting frustrated and crying during K-4.

My son started K-4 in August and had been doing well until the last week or so. When he doesn't understand something or gets the wrong answer, he completely melts down and cries and sometime will even refuse to participate further in the activity.

His teacher has tested him to make sure that he does know the material he is working with.

I am just not sure what is going on or why he is now so frustrated that he falls apart during class.

Any suggestions?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 2:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Could he be overly tired or too stimulated in the classroom? Could he be putting pressure on himself to get everything right all the time? Could he be getting attention for melting down?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Those are all good questions. I asked them too. Definately could be too tired. I wake them up at 6, drop them at 7:30 and pick them up at 5:15. But this has not changed since we started. He does get about an hour or so nap in the afternoon. I think he is definately putting too much pressure on himself, but I don't know what to do about it.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• WTF are they doing "testing" a 4 yr old??? Too much too soon... they need very little academics at this age and MORE unstructured, yet supervised, play!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I agree with crafty26.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I don't know if tested is the right word. They were working on matching lowercase and uppercase letters. And he was getting frustrated, so she went through both sets with him to see if he was having trouble identifying the letters. She said he could give about 21 out of 24 letters. She says that he has plenty of options to ask for help, but doesn't.

She did say that she noticed he looked at the work of the others sitting around him before he would do his work, so she spread them all out and she seems to think that he doesn't have the confidence in his own abilities. So, we are going to try and show him that he does know the answers and that it is ok if he doesn't.

I am not sure what I can be doing at home with him. He does get frustrated at home when he doesn't get something right away. No matter what it is. So, hopefully, he will grow out of it?
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2012