Cops save sick child's Christmas after Grinch steals decorations

PHOENIX — Two police officers have helped save Christmas for a 5-year-old suffering from a rare bone marrow disease after her family's Christmas decorations were stolen by a Grinch.

The decorations had been stolen Nov. 21 after Jessica Smith had put them up early, knowing she and her daughter would have to be in the hospital for the holidays. Two lit reindeer, three Christmas trees and a Santa on a sleigh were all stolen, according to KFYI. The thieves left only a net on the ground and the family's Christmas lights, which they were unable to remove from the house.

The family reported the theft to police. When Officers Jacob Lewis and David Head spoke with the family, they learned that it may be Linzy Smith's last Christmas — so they decided to act.

"We are not just police officers. We are fathers and have children of our own and want to help the community," Lewis told KPNX. "I am expecting my fifth child."

Lewis met with the family Tuesday at a local Walmart, where he bought them groceries, a new coffee maker and new Christmas lights. At the Smith home, he assembled the new lights and replaced the damaged lights the thieves were unable to steal.

"Santa's coming! Santa's coming!" they found Linzy yelling as they finished.

Linzy will undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment within the next month, according to KPNX.

I love happy stories!!!!

Share some wonderful stories in your area

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• That's really awesome! I love hearing about people who still have hearts.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Stuff like like this makes me want to cry. I love seeing people step up and show love for one another stranger or not :)
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Awe. Love this story. I am lucky enough to be involved with a couple things at work:

First, every year, the company does a penny war between all departments. We keep jars outside our office doors, and coins count as "points", where dollars take away points. The proceeds go to the local Salvation Army toy drive, and the winning department gets paid their regular salary, but get to go wrap and deliver toys for 2 days instead. My little 2 man department won this year, so next week I get to spend Thursday and Friday doing something a little more interesting than paperwork :) We raised $447 in our department (I forget our "points"), and close to $2000 total for the company.

The other fun thing we are doing at work, is that we have 1 receptionist that serves the whole building, and she lost both her husband and mother this year. She is not in the Christmas spirit, but we are all planning on doing secret gifts for her this year.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• What an awesome story! I love it! I hope that little girl will remember this Christmas fondly & that she gets well soon. Thanks so much for sharing :) I also hope the thieving scum get the coal they deserve!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• That is really nice.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2012