how can i get my almost 3 yr old off the bottle?

ok yes i know he should already be broke but he refuses and always has to drink from a sippy cup and please no neg. answers he wont give up his bottle and in august he will be three its hard he is so attatched to it and i trew it away and later on that night he had his dad wash it out and he got it back while i was shopping for house items what can i do to get it away from him i dont want him to have messed up teeth. can anyone help???

magical_mommy

Asked by magical_mommy at 12:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just throw it away and make sure your hubby doesn't go and get it out of the trash! Yes, he is going to cry but he will get over it. I wish I had some better advise, sorry.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 12:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• relly all you can do is get rid of the bottles and stand strong and DO NOT GIVE IN.It may takea few days of crying but it is the only way.get him some special cups and tell him the bottle fairy came to take the bottles to babies that need them.And she brought special cups for him for being a big boy.Worked for a friend of mine, so good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my daughter was like that too she loved her bottle!! she only ever got it at bedtime..but still..she loved it! all i did was have a talk with her one day telling her she was a big girl now and bottles are for babies, and i told her she wasnt gonna get them anymore...then we went to the fridge and dumped out all the milk from the bottles and put the bottles into out recycling bin..then when it came to bedtme she was crying..but..i reminded her of what we did, then i gave her a lil sip of milk ot of a regular cup, she went to bed,and was fine..no problems after that first night..you just gotta be strong..yes your son will cry, he misses his bottle..but YOU have to stay strong!! best of luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You really need to take a hard stand and simply throw it away. If you don't have your husband's support, remove it from the house. You are so right about his teeth! It has now become a medical issue. He will certainly be upset & cry. I can assure you it will probably be harder on you than it will be on him. Use a short explaination, stick to it. "I'm sorry, I know you really want your bottle. You're such a big boy, would you care to try a big boy cup" something like that seems to work for us. Being sympathetic, understanding and super loving about his situation should help.
    ThatsWright

Answer by ThatsWright at 3:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 2 yrs old and still takes a bottle but only water in it took me a hard knock on my head when my daughter had to get her 2 front teeth remove b-cuz she was still on the bottle . the bottle rotten her teeth and she is now toothless in her front upper jaw but she still takes a bottle but not milk bottle only water. she is slowly gettin herself out of it cuz she sees her big sister wit a cup...so switch the milk bottle to a water bottle n see if he like that n dont buy milk or hide it n tell him that theirs no milk only water is he gonna take it or no bottle at all and he'll decided i know its not the best answer but its workin wit mine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I had two kids like this.....know what finally did it? They had another kid say something about them drinking a babies bottle. LMAO So, I guess it was the embarrassment that finally did it for us. Good luck - I know how hard this can be!
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 6:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Why should he be off the bottle? Women BF till their children are 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son was 3 also when I stopped with the bottle. At that point he was only drinking from it at nap and bedtime. He used the bottle to relax & unwind. This is what worked for me. One of our cousin's was pregnant at the time. I explained to my son he was going to be a big cousin and told him the bottle fairy was coming and taking the bottles for the new baby. It worked after 3 days.
    Geea

Answer by Geea at 7:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My daughter was 2yr 9mon and still on the bottle. We didn't take it away before that because her preemie brother and I nearly died and that bottle was her comfort.

This is what we did. We had a special dinner with foods she loves. After the dinner we looked at catalogs (before home computers) and told her to pick out one special present. She wanted the barbie corvette. We told her if she threw away her bottles and drank from big girl cups, we would buy her the car. I made a calendar and put a star on each day she drank from her big girl cup. When she had 30 stars she got her car.

RetroWife

Answer by RetroWife at 8:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Take it away and don't give it back this time. It's going to be harder this time (more than likely) because it was given back once already.

Just take it away and tell him that babies have bottles not big boys like him. He can use a sippy, there is absolutely NO reason for him to have a bottle. It's habit, not a necessity.

Just be a parent and do what you know you need to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Feb. 12, 2009