how can i make myself more comfortable to breastfeed in "public"?? what are some "rules" on breastfeeding in front of other people?

hunters_widow

Asked by hunters_widow at 12:23 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are no rules at all. If you are really uncomfortable you can infest in a "hooter hider" or a breastfeeding cover. There are some really nice ones and they are much easier than using a blanket and more comfy :)

You can find nursing covers anywhere, I tend to buy off of etsy.com because it's all homemade stuff for decent prices.This site shows you some nice ones :)

http://www.nursingcovers.com/

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I was super uncomfortable breastfeeding in public at first...but my daughter is almost eight months now and I feel like a "nursing in public pro"! I always just cover with a light blanket when there are other people around, which makes me feel comfortable with the situation. Or, if I'm out somewhere that I don't feel comfortable with even that, I just go sit in the car with the baby while she's nursing. Most of the time though, now, I'm even comfortable nursing her in a restaurant or other public place if I have to. I'm pretty discreet and generally, I've come to the conclusion that if someone doesn't like it, then that's too bad. I''m just feeding my baby. That's what breasts are for...not to objectify sexually...not to mention, I don't let myself hang out all over the place. My best advice is just to do whatever you need in order to make yourself feel comfortable with whatever situation you are in!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• that was suppose to be "invest" not "infest" gah...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• There are no "rules."

You can get covers to help you be more discreet.

What I do is I wear and undershirt with a built in bra under my regular shirt. When I need to bf, I lift the top shirt up, pull my breast out from the top of the undershirt, latch the baby on, and cover the exposed parts of my breast with the top shirt. Works wonders.

It takes a while to get comfy... Just do it slowly. It took me about 2 months with my first born.

Good luck :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You can legally breastfeed anywhere. Some states have further laws protecting and encouraging a mother's right to breastfeed whenever and wherever she needs to in public. Most people, if anything, think it is beautiful to see a mother feeding her child. I think it's only when there's major nipple exposure that one or two people every now and again might blush at you. You have tons of support for breastfeeding wherever you need to. I wear a sports bra and can pull it up under my shirt without exposing myself by just tugging on the straps, I drape a receiving blanket over myself and pop his little head under there. I was nervous at first but got much more comfortable doing it. Modest Milk makes really cute clips to convert any blanket into a BF cover-up. They're really nifty. http://www.modestmilk.etsy.com

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I learned to wear a tanktop under my shirts... I pull up my shirt and pull down the neckline of the tank top and bra cup so that no skin will show... it takes some practice but I've asked several friends when they sit around with me whether they would even notice I was BFing if they didn't know and they said no it looks like he's sleeping
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't understand why you feel the need to breastfeed in public? There are quiet spots to go and do this so first of all you can feel more comfortable and second of all you don't get stared at. Because, I know you will be on here in a couple of days asking why you are being stared at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• There are no rules :) If your uncomfortable, check out hooters hiders, or another brand of nursing covers. They make it very easy to be discrete :) It may take a while, but with lots of practice you'll get more comfortable!

Good luck!! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Anon 9:46.

People feel the need to breastfeed in public because we like to go out and about too, and when our children are hungry, why do anything besides give them the good stuff? Do YOU sit in a bathroom stall when you eat? Do YOU wear a blanket over your head when you eat? I highly doubt it, because that would be both unsanitary, and uncomfortable! Nursing is NORMAL, formula is for the 2-3% of women who dont produce milk or for the women who take medicine that, after being thoroughly researched, cant be taken while nursing.

People who are immature enough to stare, awed, at breastfeeding women, need to take some educational classes on breastfeeding to learn that it's good not only for mom and baby, but for the society too! And if their not willing to do that, then they can just go sit in a bathroom stall or throw a blanket over their head so they cant see the breastfeeding women who make them uncomfortable.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• AMEN KATE!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009