Strange Question, maybe some one has the answer: I live in a duplex, is it possible?

That if someone has a cat in the other side,  that the allergens could be bothering me? I am severely allergic to cats (except Grumpy Cat, of course).

I was wondering about pipes, vents, etc?? Anyone have a clue?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 4:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Home & Garden

• If you share duct work, or if the duplex isn't sealed correctly between the units, it is possible.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• If you share vents ducts I would imagine it's entirely possible. I'm just not sure if you would though. I remember living in an older duplex years ago and I could smell it if the other owners were cooking garlic or onions.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• If cigarette smoke can travel from apartment to apartment. I think allergies can to.

Answer by louise2 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• do you have forced air?

I wouldn't think it too possible
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Did they change the carpet before you moved in? If the last neighbors had a cat, there could still be some trace of it in the apartment. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about vent.
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I live in a duplex. It is very possible. If I can smell the pizza that my neighbor has in the oven, the pot they are smoking, and the air freshener that they are hoping covers up those smells; I'm sure it is possible that your neighbor's cat is bothering your allergies.
    I had a neighbor that had a cat once and couldn't have my family over because my family is highly allergic.

Are you allowed to have pets? Did you know about the pet when you moved in?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I would definitely suspect the carpet is the issue. If you're very sensitive to it, just vacuuming and cleaning might not be enough. My youngest son is so horribly allergic to cats that it's had him in the ER a few times. My husband had a job at a property last year that had been vacant 6 months. The carpet had been removed, but not the padding. We stopped by there with the kids one day, and my son was already having a breathing attack on the way home.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• It's possible but not likely. I think its the carpet.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Do you have subfloors? Or crawl spaces? Is everything sealed? It could be the neighbors or it could be leftover fromin the carpet or in the vents
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 5:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• No, they did not change the carpet and I think there was a cat in here before. When I first moved in I had an allergy attack. I had to buy a heavy duty vacuum just to get it all out of the carpet. They said it was cleaned, but I don't believe it. I've lived here a year now and have had issues every since, sometimes more so than others. Just curious.
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2012